Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a deep (2quart extra) pan/gasket put on my th400 and now I got a problem. I believe its been overfilled, there are small air bubbles in the fluid and when cold the fluid is way over the fill mark on dip stick. However, when warm/running it is right in middle of mark. The main problem is that it shifts bad now. It is a built 400 used in a 600 hp drag truck and use to hit real hard in 2nd an 3rd. Now its shifts easy and slowly. Im guessing too much fluid in it? Would the original dipstick be accurate with new pan? thanks

·
Administrator
10,121 Posts
cletusvandamme said:
I had a deep (2quart extra) pan/gasket put on my th400 and now I got a problem. I believe its been overfilled, there are small air bubbles in the fluid and when cold the fluid is way over the fill mark on dip stick. However, when warm/running it is right in middle of mark. The main problem is that it shifts bad now. It is a built 400 used in a 600 hp drag truck and use to hit real hard in 2nd an 3rd. Now its shifts easy and slowly. Im guessing too much fluid in it? Would the original dipstick be accurate with new pan? thanks
the oil level remains the same with a deep pan on a transmission.

oil level is checked while the engine is running, trans warmed up , in park.

Did this deep pan come with a longer - deeper extension for the filter?

:cool:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it did, but the original pan must have been a deep pan too, because we put the extension on that came with new pan and it was too long (directions said had to be 6 inches) it was over 6 inchs, so we just used the plastic one that was on it that measured around 5 1/2 I think. The filter also sat at an angle, but it should be suckin fluid since there is enough in it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fixed. I drained some out and noticed my dipstick was all broken at the top. The top kept moving and not sealing the dipstick hole. Replaced dipstick with one from other car and seals good- no more bubbles and it chirps second now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.