Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have an problem with my TH400, i diassembly it full, and assemble it again with the same parts, i put it in the vehicule, put oil on it and run, the vehicule move good like 30seconds, and then al gears are like it was in neutral, so i popped out the cooler line and start it, and i observe that it spit some air, so i plug the oil line again, run the vehicule, and it do the same thing, 30sec and all gears neutral, it change gear very well, the level seems to be right, should i add more trans oil?, i have a deep pan, and i put like 10quarts of oil on it, there's a method to bleed the air?

pd:sorry for english im from Chile

Regards

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
No need to bleed air from the Cooler lines.
With the Engine running fluid should be pumping out the Cooler line.
If the TC/TorqueConverter was not fully/completely installed into the Trans Pump it will break the Pump gear.
There should be 1/8" to 3/16" inch clearance between the Flexplate & TC before sliding the TC forward and bolting it up to Flexplate. If no clearance was present the TC was not fully/completely installed.
The fluid level is checked with the engine running.
Automatic Transmission & Torque Converter Fluid Capacity - TCI® Auto

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No need to bleed air from the Cooler lines.
With the Engine running fluid should be pumping out the Cooler line.
If the TC/TorqueConverter was not fully/completely installed into the Trans Pump it will break the Pump gear.
There should be 1/8" to 3/16" inch clearance between the Flexplate & TC before sliding the TC forward and bolting it up to Flexplate. If no clearance was present the TC was not fully/completely installed.
The fluid level is checked with the engine running.
Automatic Transmission & Torque Converter Fluid Capacity - TCI® Auto
I have between 1/8 and 3/16" inch clearance, can i MAYBE install something backwards on valve body?, i will throw down the pan tomorrow :/

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
also, the pump flows like 1liter per 10seconds when i unplug the cooler line, so i think the pump is good
The amount of flow is correct. So the Pump is working.
Spitting air, it may be low on fluid & allowing the filter to suck air.
With a Deep Pan it will require more fluid than a Stock Pan. May need 2 to 4 qts./ltrs. more.
TC & Trans fluid capacities >> Automatic Transmission & Torque Converter Fluid Capacity - TCI® Auto

Are you checking the Trans fluid level with the Engine running?
Do you have the Filter Extension that is used with a Deep Pan? It positions the Filter lower into the Pan.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The amount of flow is correct. So the Pump is working.
Spitting air, it may be low on fluid & allowing the filter to suck air.
With a Deep Pan it will require more fluid than a Stock Pan. May need 2 to 4 qts./ltrs. more.
TC & Trans fluid capacities >> Automatic Transmission & Torque Converter Fluid Capacity - TCI® Auto

Are you checking the Trans fluid level with the Engine running?
Do you have the Filter Extension that is used with a Deep Pan? It positions the Filter lower into the Pan.
i'm checking the level running, its a little more than full, i also puto the filter extension.
the trans was working and i diassembly it because the driveshaft broke and made a little hole in the case, i weld it and reassembly with the same parts.
Can i put something on the valvebody in the incorrect position?, now i will take off the pan to check for something there

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
It is possible something in the Valvebody isn't correct, Checkballs, Valves, Springs, Gaskets.
Also in the Pump, Pressure Regulator & Boost Valves, Gasket.

If you have a Pressure gauge you can test it to see what's going on.
0-200psi. gauge & hose will work. 1/8" NPT Port on left side of Trans.

1000rpm w/brakes applied:
Neutral = 55-70psi.
Drive = 60-90psi.
Drive-2 = 135-160psi.
Reverse = 95-150psi.

Drive @Idle = 60-85psi.
Drive 1000rpm w/Detent Solenoid On = 90-110psi.

Is the Modulator hooked up to Manifold vacuum?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is possible something in the Valvebody isn't correct, Checkballs, Valves, Springs, Gaskets.
Also in the Pump, Pressure Regulator & Boost Valves, Gasket.

If you have a Pressure gauge you can test it to see what's going on.
0-200psi. gauge & hose will work. 1/8" NPT Port on left side of Trans.

1000rpm w/brakes applied:
Neutral = 55-70psi.
Drive = 60-90psi.
Drive-2 = 135-160psi.
Reverse = 95-150psi.

Drive @Idle = 60-85psi.
Drive 1000rpm w/Detent Solenoid On = 90-110psi.

Is the Modulator hooked up to Manifold vacuum?
Ok, i took off pan and VB, and it was missing one spring (Picture)

So i took off one from another VB, tomorrow i will test it.
can the missing spring cause the problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.