Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to put a 472 cadillac with the TH425 transaxle into the back of my hot rod hearse. to anyone that has already modified a TH425 into the back of a vehicle im looking for input on the traction of this unit. I am under the impression it is primarily a one wheel wonder when laying down some rubber. I have done a little research to POSI this unit , but it looks like that is not an option unless i'm willing to have custom gearing made. That is not an option. so do any of you have any tips to help eliminate or reduce the slip differential? the trans and engine are out of a 68 eldorado. The engine will get some mods. It will produce 500 HP roughly and close to 500-550 ft lb torque. the car is a tank. but in the parades and car shows the kids are wanting to see me burn rubber. so before i put this in I am interested in finding equal traction or as much as i can get. what are the suggestions? such as maybe ring gears posi lock unit that can be made or purchased. And thanks to those that lend some helpful information.

·
Registered
279 Posts
While I know little about that trans, I do have a possible solution to investigate. There are small locker units that install in standard diff units in place of the spider gears. It wouldn't surprise me if GM used diff parts (like spider gears) from a conventional rear axle in the 425. You might get lucky and find a unit that will fit as is or with a little modification.

·
More for Less Racer
20,932 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Tear the diff apart and find a way to machine a spool.

One of those things you can think about, plan, and even buy parts for.

Or just get into it and once you know exactly what your dealing with decide the best route to go to meet your goals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.