Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front suspension is on the way (Merry Christmas to me) and I'm starting to work on ideas for the rearend while I'm waiting. I want to get Total Performances welded case and swap in the axles and 3rd member from a salvage yard unit. I've never broken down or built up a rearend before. Does anyone have a "How to" link or maybe you can tell me what to look out for.

The TP unit is an 8".

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
It is pretty simple. I actually have exactly what you are talking about. Unbolt the end flanges when the brakes are and the axels will slide right out. There are 10 or 12 nuts or bolts holding in the center section, remove them and you will own it. Carefull, it is fairly heavy.
You may have problems finding one at a junk yard unless you have yards that keep the old stuff arround. None of the local yards here had anything.
The 8" was used in like the late 60s - mid 70s or so smaller fords. If you can find a mustang, maverick fairlaine etc, it will probably contain the axel you need.
One other thing, the total performance shell does not have a fill plug so you need to be sure that the pmpkin you get has a fill plug

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T-bucket23 said:
It is pretty simple. I actually have exactly what you are talking about. Unbolt the end flanges when the brakes are and the axles will slide right out. There are 10 or 12 nuts or bolts holding in the center section, remove them and you will own it. Carefull, it is fairly heavy.
You may have problems finding one at a junk yard unless you have yards that keep the old stuff arround. None of the local yards here had anything.
The 8" was used in like the late 60s - mid 70s or so smaller fords. If you can find a mustang, maverick fairlaine etc, it will probably contain the axel you need.
One other thing, the total performance shell does not have a fill plug so you need to be sure that the pmpkin you get has a fill plug

Thanks. I was hoping that would be the case. I have the luck of having a few old bone yards in my area. Thanks again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I thought I had a rearend donor, but somebody beat me too it. He has other 8" rearends. I'm going to use new axles for the Total Performance housing that are correct for the year and make of the housing. Are thrid members for the 8" rear as particular as the housing or am I going to have to go looking for one that matches their housing?

·
World Class ASE tech
704 Posts
I have two T Buckets and I used the read end from an S-10 Chevy truck in both of them. These are cheap and plentiful. You can also get the chrome cover that goes over the back. They are about 55" from drum to drum flange so they work out just right.

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
I used the 8" rear housing from TP as well. As far as "axles from any early ford blah blah will fit" is a load of crap. Ford made dozens of different length 8" rear ends and you need the correct length axles for that housing . As you found out, the chances of finding the correct length axles (I found that V-8 Maverick or Comet were the only ones that would work) are pretty slim. I know TP gets a good buck for the axles that fit, but at least you'll have them. As far as the pumpkin, that should be fairly simple, but then again, the older iron is harder to comeby in the yards these days. I got a 8" from an old Mustang with 2.80 gears in it, pretty common back then.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, RPM, I'll keep that info in mind if I need an alternative to what I have planned out. S-10 rears are all over the place.

Arrow, I think I'll check into getting an early Mustang or Mustang II thrid member It seems like they may be the same. Hopefully I'll have better luck. I really don't want to drop $500 for TP's thrid member. The axles that TP sells are kinda high, but like you stated, they are pretty much garanteed to fit their housing.

Thanks again for the input. You guys are great.

·
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang
507 Posts
Similar to RPM, I've also used a rear end out of an s-10 / S-15. It was a 7.625" 10-bolt setup. Cost $180 which included the entire rear-end, axles, gears and housing. Had the bushings and bearings replaced at our local driveline and axle shop - cost $300. $10 for a chrome diff cover. This 10-bolt unit should be good for most T's as they are a light vehicle and very light in the back end. Not a very sexy setup, but it is solid and quiet in my T.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I found someone who is willing to weld on my brackets. He's certified too! So, now I need to know what years S-10 will work as far as width goes? Are they the same? Does anyone have a link for the specs?

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
the TP 8" rears are Ford Maverick rear ends, a 6cyl or 8cyl maverick can get you any parts you need for the TP housing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
matt167 said:
the TP 8" rears are Ford Maverick rear ends, a 6cyl or 8cyl maverick can get you any parts you need for the TP housing.
Yes, I know. My problem was that none of the yards had the years of the Fords I needed. (even my old buddy :( )I'm still looking, but it seems like I will have to go an alternate route to save money.

I'd also like to get the specs on Fords 8.8". The width needs to be between 51" and 54". Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
tfeverfred said:
Yes, I know. My problem was that none of the yards had the years of the Fords I needed. (even my old buddy :( )I'm still looking, but it seems like I will have to go an alternate route to save money.

I'd also like to get the specs on Fords 8.8". The width needs to be between 51" and 54". Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.
Ford Granada/ Monarchs use the same 8" as the Mav's, forgot to add that. also in late 1979/1980 Ford used a 8.8" in the Merc Monarchs, which is the Falcon/ Mav/ Mustang chassie. a Sister car to the Ford Granada. they are rare to find but, there out there, there about 56"

·
507 Posts
I seem to recall that the 4-wheel drive S-10s were 4 inches wider than the 2-wheel drive S-10 axles. I believe the 2-wheel drive units were 48" and the 4-wheel drive units were 52' (plate to plate).

·
Registered
10 Posts
s10

cucumber is correct on the s10 widths but from backing plate to backing plate flange. '82 to '89 were mostly 7.5" gear, 4.3 models starting in '89 and up are all 7.625" gear.

·
AKA Lee in KC
527 Posts
FWIW... I have a '98 S-10 4WD rear end in my T-bucket. It is 54.5" wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface, 7.625", 3.42:1, metric disc brakes. So far it's holding up fine behind my 6-71 blown sbc 355. As light as a T-bucket is, it's difficult to put much strain on the rear end.

·
World Class ASE tech
704 Posts
Sorry i am not sure of the years these rear ends are. I have a 383 stroker in front of mine and beat on it pretty hard. I have not had any problems with the rear.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: I found a place in town that works on and restores first generation Mustangs. Classic Mustangs. I'll be getting in touch with them to see if they have a line on a 8" rearend. If not, I'll have to check out the S-10 leads. The going rate for a S-10 rear is $150. If anything, they sure are cheap. My decision on using one will depend on the width.

So, who the heck said that searching for parts was part of the fun?

·
507 Posts
Yeah, searching can be frustrating, but when you find what you want you forget all that frustration pretty fast LOL! By the way, if you're concerned about that S-10 rear end, you can buy a girdle for that unit which will offer a lot of support but again, for a T-Bucket, I don't think you'll need it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts