Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vehicle with an automatic transmission.

Actually I just got it and I noticed that the TV cable isn't hooked up is it always necessary for the cable to be hooked up. I can see where it would hook to the carb but there are no connectors or such on it.

If I should hook it up how would I go about doing it. What sort of connector should I use.

Thanks

Eric

·
Administrator
10,121 Posts
it would be helpful to know what year , make , modle vehicle we are talking about.

Do you know what tranny is in the vehicle?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more details

Right sorry about that.

I recently bought a 1960 Chevy Belair. It has been modified to accept a V-8 and an automatic.

I know this because the clutch petal is still in the car it is just pushed all the way up out of view. Also the original engine was a V-6 I can tell this from the emblems on the car and the title as well. I looked at the transmission pan early this evening and wasn't able to get much info other than something about patents and a bunch of patent numbers. the trans pan was basically square. The shape makes me believe it is a powerglide again I am unsure of this because I couldn"t find any numbers on the pan.

I'm not sure what size engine it is either.
I am guessing a 350 because of all of the bolt on parts and such. The carb is an Edelbrock (i will get the model soon) it has a wieland manifold I think thats how its spelled. I cannot get to the numbers on the block there is to much stuff in the way.

Thank you for the quick response.

Eric

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kickdown what?

What is a kickdown cable.

The only reason that I ask is because the thing is just kind of sitting there next to the carb unhooked like something is wrong or that it isn't supposed to be there.

Thanks for the help.

ERic

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured that it would have done some damage or not even have worked with out the TV cable hooked up.

Since its not thats good.

It would be nice to have a passing gear so I will probably go ahead and hook it up.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
No 60 Chevy came with a V-6 . The options were 283 and 348 V-8 and an in line 6. Look at the end of your "TV" cable. If it has a slot in it where it hooks onto the carb, it is a kick down cable and you have either a Power Glide tranny or a Turbo Hydromatic of some number. If it has a small hole to connect to the throttle, then it may be a TV cable, which is only associated with an automatic overdrive tranny that is probably well done toast now.

Trees

·
Registered
185 Posts
tv cable

You need to identify your trans . Its probably an original powerglide with a square pan. If it is square with a slice off the corner its a turbo 350. If its an overdrive and the tv cable isnt hooked up it better be new and no miles on it. Sounds like the powerglide though; and after taking off its only going to shift one time ( 2 speed) If you cant see the numbers on the back drivers side of the engine I think you can find out what engine you have by looking on the front passenger side below the head next to the water pump on the block deck. Get these numbers then get back to the site or maybe Mortec i.d. I thought I had a rebuilt 350 in my Chevy2 conv. but after i.d. block it was a 63 283 ; disappointing. You cant tell by the crome and hi-po parts on the outside !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.