Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tranny I picked up at the junkyard has a output shaft yoke with locknut on it vs a "slip" type yoke. I was told that I had to stay with this setup because the locknut setup secures internals. Is this true? Can I switch to a slip type yoke without changing internal components?

·
Old(s) Fart
6,014 Posts
Bob Mushow said:
The tranny I picked up at the junkyard has a output shaft yoke with locknut on it vs a "slip" type yoke. I was told that I had to stay with this setup because the locknut setup secures internals. Is this true? Can I switch to a slip type yoke without changing internal components?
Wow, that's funny.

The bolt-on yoke is for a truck. You MUST have a slip yoke somewhere in the driveshaft. On the trucks with the multi-part driveshaft the slip yoke is at the center driveshaft bearing. You'll need to remove that yoke and install a conventional slip yoke. The nut only retains the yoke, not the "internals".

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Bob Mushow said:
there are slip yokes with a machined area inside them to slide over the O-ring that is on the out put shaft of the t-400 with an output shaft designed for a bolt on yoke.

The bolt on yoke held on with a bolt does not affect the internals at all.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The machined yokes will clear the Oring and yoke stop, but the yoke will not slide into the trans fully. It will stop when the splined potion of the yoke hits the machined stop manufactured into the output shaft. Either the shaft must be machined or replaced with one that has no stop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.