Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

on a t5 install i am doing , while sliding the trans into the bellhousing i felt the splines engage but was hard to seat. so I just snugged up the four bolts to pull together. There was a little force but now its seated tight.
Is that ok to do I imagine once I step on the clutch things should fall into place. Whats your opinions???
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here goes.....There are a couple of ways to do this, one is to leave the pressure plate bolts just snug so's the clutch plate has some wiggle room and torque them after the trans is seated, the other is to torque em first and have someone depress the clutch peddle while you slide the trans up tight the last little bit. What you did was a bit of gamble, :nono: You could of easily broken one or more of the ears off of the trans, by the sounds of it you got lucky and at this point you should be alright. On my install I also had to take a bit of emery cloth to the 50+ year old Bell housing hole which was preventing the trans from seating properly.

It's been a few years since I did mine, so if I did not explain that right someone please feel free to correct me.

Cheers, Judd

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
The proper way to do it is with the proper clutch alignment tool so you don't have to go through the gyrations mentioned above. Parts stores have plastic alignment tools that work fine for this purpose. I agree, you were lucky you didn't break off any ears of that trans.

Vince

·
Registered
650 Posts
Having an extra foot to depress the clutch peddle at that point is usually enough to allow everything to line up and slide the rest of the way in.

If it pulled together with little effort, then you should be ok. If it took a lot of torque to get it to make, I'd loosen the trans bolts to see if it pushes back out.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Was this transmission removed from the SAME vehicle?

If not, are you sure that you have the correct transmission for that vehicle?

Some T5s have slightly different sized pilots on the shafts and will not bolt in correctly when used in the wrong application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.