Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Balance question here.My brother has a 91 Mustang with a 302 EFI,5 speed trans.He blew the first trans about 6 months back.I helped him put another trans in.Well that one lasted1 month.So we installed another new trans,throwout bearing,pilot bearing.It just went out 1 week ago.I am not sure of his problems on all of the trans. he has installed.This last time I drove it and I remember that 4th gear was the only gear it would not moan in.1,2,3,and 5 it would.In reverse it would moan also.The trans all came from different people.They could have been on the edge of going bad when purchased.The first he bought was a fresh rebuild,but the guy works at a speed shop and said that he would swap for the old one even.He just wanted to see if he built it right and he did not have a car to put it in.My brother was the Guinea pig.All the motor mounts are in good shape and tight.The trans crossmember is tight and the mount is also good.He does drive like an idiot at times,but I do not know if this is the cause.I have not felt any vibration in the driveline,but it almost seems as though the driveshaft may be out of balance and sending in a vibration to the mainshaft.Any ideas?Am I off base?These have all been T-5's,he said the Tremec is more expensive but more stout,and is saving for one of them now.What is the root before he spends more $$$$ for failure.Thanx guys.-Ron-

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same problems with the tranny in my mustang. Can't remember the cause, 4th gear was quiet due to direct drive. Seems it was the input shaft? VERY common problem on the T5, check one of the 5.0 Mustang sites, they'll know for sure.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
We have found the T5 unable to handle much HP for any appreciable amount of time. A buddy of mine has been through three of them in his ZZ4 powered 56 Chevy 210. He went back to the Muncie 4 speed, and added a Gear Vendors overdrive unit, he's a happy camper now.

Vince

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might try a Tremec TKO or something along that line.

He wants to get the Tremec,just did not know if he had an underlying problem and would hate to see him damage a new trans of that cost.But from what it looks like the T5 is just an inherently weak trans and that may be his problem.His Mustang is not exactly stock,putting down some pretty decent power even if it is a Ford.j/k I have 2 Fords myself,plus a Chrysler.Thanx guys,I just did not want him to spend big bucks on a Tremec and it dump on him,he needs all his income.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.