Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just purchased a T5 that suppose to have came out of an 88 svo mustang. Its a borg warner trans and I have numbers starting with 1352 stamped all over the casing and tail shaft housing. The problem is that the id tag itself is missing. There has to be some way I can id this thing without the tag. I have looked at all the charts that gives me the id tag numbers but that dosent do me any good without the tag. Any suggestions anyone??????

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
SOME have a black paint 3 digit number 1/2 inch high stamped on the side of the box. This is the 3 digit dash code for ID purposes. (ex = -192 etc)

Other than that,
count the input splines,
length of input shaft,
diameter of pilot nose
look at the front bearing retainer. It covers part of the cluster shaft bearing. Is that bearing flat or dished?
note location of shifter. where in tailshaft. Mustang boxes will be far back on tailshaft
put the box in first gear and count the ratio from input to output. 4 cyl boxes are about 4.05, V8 boxes 3.35 usually

If you have a 4 cyl SVO box, it is good for about 230 ft/lb of torque.

The most important thing is first gear ratio,
second is the cluster bearing appearance, flat or dished.

If you want/need a 4 cyl box and it is OK, then it is worth about $ 125.
If it is an early 260 lb/ft V8 box and is OK it is worth about $ 250.
Later World Class boxes are worth about $ 400 up, depending on which box they are and individual condition.

Rebuilding costs $1000 up. Making a box into the stronger T-5 costs about $2000+, since the cluster gear alone is $1100.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the case and there are no numbers that large. The input shaft is 10 spline. The bearing retainer that surounds the input shaft is not absolutely flat. it is flush with the casing but has recesses where it was cast. The shifter is almost all the way to the end of the tail shaft. The guy I got it from still has the 88 svo mustang but I noticed some blue sealant between the tailshaft housing and the main body housing and since the tag is gone Im guessing someone has been inside it already. The guy I got it from was real nice but didnt seem to know alot about it other than the guy he bought the car from said it was grinding going into gear. It does have a hurst shifter attached to it and the rear trans mount. I got everthing for $75.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.