Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a quick roadside fix of my off road lights (toggle switch broke) The wire I ran temp. from the battery to another toggle, grounded out going through the firewall. It smoked up the cab and after raising the hood the wire insl. was burning and I yanked it off the battery but not before it killed the motor. It wouldn't restart untill I removed the burnt wire that was stuck on everything it touched wich turned out to be the wire from my dist.tach connector. After that, the motor fired right up. It was dark, and the flashlight was weak and the fact that we were on a "mission to go fishin" and the engine was now running, off we went. We didn't get far untill I started smelling oil. Another raise of the hood revealed the hot wire had burned the oil pressure line causing a leak. Another roadside fix with a pair of small vice grips, temp. solved that problem.
The next day I fixed the oil line with a &2.99 butt connector and fired the engine and ran the RPM up to check for leaks when I discovered the tach will now only go up to 3500RPM and then the pointer jumps around eraticly.
My question is (finely) is my tach now "fried" beyond 3500RPM? It still works good to that point but not beyond. It's a sun pro about 50 bucks and if there is a fix, I'd like to know before the argument starts with the wife over more money for that old damn truck.

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
quote[My question is (finely) is my tach now "fried" beyond 3500RPM? It still works good to that point but not beyond. It's a sun pro about 50 bucks and if there is a fix, I'd like to know before the argument starts with the wife over more money for that old damn truck.]quote

I agree the tach is 'burnt toast', :D and she was most likely pissed if you did not bring home any fish to fry either. :D :spank: :spank: :spank:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.