Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does my rebuilt tachometer not register more than 1000 RPM
even though I rev up to 3,000 or so? It hardly moves.

This in on a 75 Pontiac Trans AM.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Why does my rebuilt tachometer not register more than 1000 RPM
even though I rev up to 3,000 or so? It hardly moves.

This in on a 75 Pontiac Trans AM.
FIRST thing I would check is the circuit board. If it looks OK I'd next try bypassing the filter.

IIRC the case on that tach was steel. If so, it should be grounded. When the key is turned on the tach needle should return to 'zero'. That would mean it's getting power and it is grounded.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
It turns out the rebuilt tach was for a points distributor and this is HEI so its going back to the vendor.

thanks for your comments
Walt
I'm glad you figured this out so quickly, Walt. Is there an external ID that tells if the tach is points or HEI? I have the instruments from a Firebird (year unknown) in FL but I can't say I remember what type ignition it had.

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad you figured this out so quickly, Walt. Is there an external ID that tells if the tach is points or HEI? I have the instruments from a Firebird (year unknown) in FL but I can't say I remember what type ignition it had.

Thanks, Mark
There is no indication. However this reputable could of asking more questions, like does it have HEI? You better repeat more than once what you have and what you want anymore. Parts guys aren't really mechanics or car guys anymore and frankly I find that it's always someone someone just trying to sell parts and not selling you the RIGHT parts.

Pontiac started using HEI late in 1974 production from what I've read and in the entire 1975 production year going forward. When in doubt keep asking questions though>
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.