Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
tryn to learn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 82 grand prix the 1 rear tail light on the drivers side keeps burning out all of the time... i put a new one in and 5 mins later it is burnt out. what could the cause of this be? bad ground? could i reground that one bulb to the chassis somwhere?

also i noticed under the drivers side door there is a black cord that is about 8ga just hanging there not hooked up to anything... the car electrical all seems to work fine but that 1 tail light. what could that ground cable be for? i have no idea where it came unhooked from or where it goes.:drunk: :confused:

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
i know that if you have a light socket in your house thats eating light bulbs, your supposed to bend the center (bottom) tab out towards you .

the electrical arcing causes the bulb base to burn thru and then the vacuum is broken inside the bulb. so the next one that burns out, drop it on the ground , see if you get that telltale pop that lightbulbs are supposed to make

as for the ground wire, if it has one of the store bought crimp on do-it-yourself style ends, it was probably used to power some other owners asseccory of some sort.

99.9% of the time, any wires that run past the rocker panels are are bundled together for the sake of ease of factory assembly. if this wire just wanders around under the carpet, trace it back and find out where its connected to. i have the habit of removing other peoples garbage wiring, and in doin so ive found problems that i didnt even know needed to be corrected .. like loose grounds or bad wire repairs

best of luck

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Bulb

Doc here:pimp:

After you check for bad ground and loose connectors,

Pull the left bulb, and check the number, you may have the wrong bulb in there,

In fact, if you want, switch them, see if it operates.

Also, if by some chance it happens to be halogen, and your getting your fingers on the glass, you have solved the problem, Halogens will burn up if you get any oil on the glass.

Doc :pimp:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts