Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinkin bout takin off my tail pipes for a long time. I was told that by taking off the tailpipes the sound on my car would greatly increase. I want a sound thats deeper and LOUDER!! do you think that i could do this by taking off my tail pipes? Also is this smog legal?

·
DriveItLikeItsSupostToBeD riven
251 Posts
I bought my car with no tail pipes and i just put some on it, and i actually like the sound better, I find it sounds more aggressive and dos int seem to quiet it down.

I take it you cant just take them off and try it and if you don't like it put them back on???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bout a new flowmaster muffler and complete cat back system bout 4 months ago. I also took the cats off after i smogged it bout 1 month ago. But it still doesnt sound like i want. I like the deep bassy sound. I have heard tahoes and suburbans that sound better than my car.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Is your car a V8 car? If not you can forget getting that sound out of a V6.

If it is a V8 you can make it deeper and louder without tail pipes, not sure I would do it. The sound you are looking for probably won't come from removing tailpipes. You have a transverse muffler and I am not sure which "Flowmaster" you bought. If you want a deeper/louder sound I suggest buying a different muffler and keeping the tail pipes. An older style 2 chamber Flowmaster will give you the sound you want as will Hooker Aerochamber mufflers. All of this is assuming you have a V8.

Royce

·
Registered
393 Posts
Back in the day we ran headers and header mufflers. Thats all. I think it sounded great. Smog legal NO. It was actually a little quieter at idle as the sound was released under the car. When in college a friend had a 66 dodge 440 (body style) It had a radical 440 and he had header mufflers and put on the shortest thrush mufflers he could find. I think they were about 12 inches long. You could sit at a red light and watch the windows in the stores vibrate next to you. Fastest car I was ever in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Glass packs.

A glass pack or dual glasspacks on a V8 sound awesome. I put a pair of glasspacks on my header'd 79 camaro, and it sounded totally awesome. I also have a glasspack on my truck, which has stock manifolds and a Y pipe leading to the glass pack, it sounds pretty good too. Glasspacks are great for giving you a deep, bass rumble but keeping down the noise to an acceptable amount. Both my vehicles have a very quiet, distinctive, bass idle that you can definately hear but isn't loud enough to attract attention from the police. When you rev it little, it makes a nice growl, almost a bark, and when you gun it roars. What I like best is the way it growls when you push in the clutch at the same time you let up on the gas (not letting up first, as one may often do).

I wish I had a nickel for everytime I pulled up to a light with my truck and had the guy next to me ask what I had for a motor. I've even heard guys betting eachother I have a big block when I leave it idling at gas stations.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Change the pipe diameter to match your combination, then the mufflers to a more aggressive tone, 40 series, super turbos, but leave the tailpipes on. Tailpipes will keep the fumes out, and they sound better when you have the right system on the car, nothing beats the rumpity rump of nice pipes out the back at idle.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
What sounds good is a matter of opinion. Only you know the sound you want. Larger diameter pipe will tend to make the tone deeper. I don't think you will like he sound of glass packs. Yes, they are legal in California but, they really are not good for performance. If sound is all you are after they can be LOUD the shorterthey are the louder they are. To me they only sound good on some cars (bombs, lowriders, etc..) The sound does not fit a Camaro (IMO). If you increase the diameter of the tail pipes that will make your car louder as well, it basically amplifies the sound you have. This is why a lot of trucks you see sound the way they do. Look at the size of their tail pipes.

Royce

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys thanx for all you opinions. I think i might try to change to the 40 series flows instead of the 80s. Right a now i have 3.5 inch pipes but i will definately try a new muffler. Once again thanx for all your help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.