Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys I need a tow vehicle that I can seat 4 people, and I'd like it to be a truck so I can use gooseneck trailers...

well I got another 3/4 ton 48 chevy (5 window) that I can get for $350 - doesn't have a bed. I have a 1953 3 window cab I can get for free, and a caddy 472 that I can get for $200 that runs.

I'm kinda thinkin of combining the two cabs, leaving the bed pretty short, and only extending the frame if necessary to accomodate the gooseneck, and seeing what I can come up with.

is this idea insane?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just kinda brain storming, but I need a tow rig... other then my time invested I think I could do the project for pretty cheap (and a few tools like a plasma cutter).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
another thought I've had is to get two doors, and do similair to what you stated... cut the doors in half, and join the back half of the drivers side to the back have of the passengers side and vs. turning the cab backwards would make the roof joings easy and smooth, but you'd have to cut it again and fabricate the back of one of the cabs back on after it was sectioned etc. to fit in.

stuff to think on... this summer I'm going to assemble the parts, and then sit on it until I got my 50 truck done. if I still feel I can do this montrous undertaking after I finish that then I'll dig into it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya know I never even thought of a burb... this is a project I was planning on doing without extending anything, just the caddy and a flatbed on a 48 3/4 frame with stock cab. as I got to thinkin I'm going to need to have 4 seats so I can take my family though.

I'm still going to assemble the parts, and then sit on it. worst case scenario is that I don't chop a cab up, and I still put a flatbed on the 48 3/4 ton frame with the caddy engine and have a 2 seater tow vehicle. I could either sell it, or maybe even trade it for a c series dullie or something? I don't know time will tell.

let just say that this isn't something I would even attempt to try and pull off right now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks I'll have to check it out! :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm... you got any pictures?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
don't worry if I can pull this one off I have my respect as well... LOL - this is one I would really like to pull off, but I think I'm going to get my current projects off my plate before I really contemplate this one again.

1 - 7 of 6 Posts