Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
I am in the process of doing this as we speak!! Tore into my '53 5-window last month. It is stripped to the frame now. I have already extended the frame 1' and plan on cutting the bed 1' for room to make the 2' extended cab. I plan on using two door skins to extend the roof and extra doors to extend the sides. Only need the top square parts of the window frames of two more doors to finish off the filler doors. No need to split the whole door. Door skins are nearly the same shape as the roof sheet metal and a lot easier to manipulate than 2 cabs! Also, two more doors are cheaper than a whole 'nother cab and supplies the window frame corners and sheet metal. The floor will be extended with bent sheet metal - nothing sacred there. I am mounting the 235 to a 200R4 overdrive now but when that is done, the cab goes on the frame and I start cutting sheet metal! I'll take pictures as I go. I'm staying away from the 4 door concept. One, I don't particularly like the look and second, there needs to be some engineering done from the safety standpoint that I am too old and tired to do it!

I saw a 1 ton 4WD version of this truck and it was awesome. As with everything, if it is done right it looks right if not . . . . .

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Well done! After looking at it, it seems that you could trim off the late model dip on the bottom, horizontally back from the level just below the shock and not lose any strength. Is there anything in the new frame rails that needs to be there?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts