Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Returning American Maddman
444 Posts
I have a model graveyard from all the mental projects I dream up. It cost very little and if it doesn't work, they are fun to burn! I find that the measuements are close enuf to get a good gut feeling on if things will fit.

·
Returning American Maddman
444 Posts
Almost forgot! The newest project at the shop is a 65 Ford pick up. It is on a big late model Chevy frame (Caprice or wagon or something) To amke it all work, we need to make up 8" or cut the frame. The owner doesn't want the frame cut so, we are doing this. We are stretching the cab IN THE DOORS 8"! He has a donor cab and so far it is coming along well. It will look stack at first, but a second glance, hold your tickets! We cut the doors first and this weekend we will get the basic cab tacked to fit.
There IS more than one way to fk a goat!

·
Registered
16 Posts
fenderfat,
what kind of frame are you using in the pic? It kinda looks like a 80's model full size chevy frame. If it is, what kind of mods to the frame did you have to do to get the body to bolt up. I have an 86 chevy frame that I intend to put my 50 chevy 1/2 body on. It all looks like it will line up, except behind the engine, where the frames drops down. I was gonna build up the dip in the frame with some metal. That's what it looks you did. Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes it is on a gm 80's one ton dually frme. The section under the cab is the original 35 section welded onto the gm frme thus eliminating the dip and also providing direct bolt up for the 35 cab and front end. And yes that is a bumper car sitting on the back. It's an old steel Dodgem that I'm building. I put a 1940 Ford grill into it.

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Well done! After looking at it, it seems that you could trim off the late model dip on the bottom, horizontally back from the level just below the shock and not lose any strength. Is there anything in the new frame rails that needs to be there?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.