Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,328 Posts
I'm sure you misunderstood what the guy was saying. All air cooled bugs fenders come off without touching any axles or brakes, what the hell is he talking about?

You have to pull the bumpers on some, the brakets go thru the fenders. Others the brakets go thru the apron on the front, the rears all go thru the fenders. Just unbolt the brackets on the inside under the fender, then pull the bumpers right off (leave the brakets on the bumpers). I believe all bolts, bumper and fenders are 13mm.

You then unbolt the running boards (10mm wrench) and remove the fenders by removing the bolts around the fender to the body.

It is all very simple. You could pull the fenders off in an hour or so, fire up the motor and drive off.

Brian

·
16,328 Posts
I hadn't seen one of these set ups until recently. There is a guy with a little shop right down the street from me who does them, Kinda neat.

Yep, you would need to remove the front "Beam" (that is what the front axle is called on a Vw Bug) and bolt in an extension that you buy then bolt the beam back in.

Cam, I see that you are 14 years old. Listen, the first thing you have to learn about this stuff is that all cars are simply a pile of parts that are bolted and welded together. The frames, the motors, the bodies, all of it, just a bunch of pieces of metal bolted or welded together.

I know at first it can be intimidating, there are a LOT of these metal pieces! Plus, there are some that are more important than others, brakes and steering pieces for instance.

This is true, but they are STILL simply metal pieces bolted and welded together to form a car. Unbolting that front beam is no "harder" than unbolting the front bumper, just a different wrench or two and a pair of jack stands to hold the car up, that is all it takes.

If you want to take off a welded part, same thing, all it takes is the right "wrench", a spot weld drill. Just "unbolt" each weld by drilling it out, that is all there is to it.

When working with brakes and steering for the first time you MUST have help, don't get me wrong. That is serious stuff, HOWEVER, it is no different than working with that front bumper or head lights or some other bolt on piece.

Do you have a bug or just plan on getting one?

This site where I got the photos from shows a Bug completely torn down, you just can't get much easier than a VW, they are super neat little cars.

(Click here)

Brian

·
16,328 Posts
Here is a picture of the extension. So Cam what you do is remove the beam from the car. It is bolted in with four bolts, thats it, just four bolts two thru a "Clamp" that goes over the both the upper and lower tubes. These bolts are horizontal and go into the front of the "Pan" (the "frame" on a bug is called a "Pan"). You then bolt this extension onto the pan right where the beam went. You can see on the extension the two tubes, those tubes clamp into the pan exactly as the beam did. You then have a new location out further to bolt the beam to, JUST as it was on the pan. Really a pretty neat idea. There are of course some other bolts like the steering shaft up to your steering column with will also need to be extended, I didn't see any photos or explaination of what they offer to do that on this site. But that and the brake lines get extended or you run longer hoses.

That is all there is to it. You have the right parts, the extension and the steering column extension and brake lines. You unbolt everything and bolt in all the new goodies and then have someone help you bleed the brakes of air and you are out cruzing.

Brian

CRAP, they won't let me post the photo here, just go the site and click on "beam extensions". :)

The heck with them, heres on installed!

·
16,328 Posts
And if you Click here you'll see a whole thread with photos on installing one!

God this internet is amazing!

Brian

·
16,328 Posts
By the way, that guy went thru a lot of trouble that he didn't have to in chopping his roof. You don't need to make ANY cuts to the rear or top of the roof to do an angle chop like that. Just cut the "A" and "B" pillars out, and bend the roof down then cut the pillars to length and weld them back in. It is a little more involved than that, but no where near as much work as he created chopping his. It is literally a one day job doing an angle chop like that.

Brian

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
.. i really dont know what i'm looking at
haha

but

yeah.. Martin.. i have a bug..

3 of them

one will be a parts car

one will be a jacked up buggy.. and this one is a low-rider

=D

the low rider will be fenderless i think.. havent decided yet

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you don't extend the front end then it just looks like a beetle without fenders. If you search that site a little more you will see that the alternative is shortening the body which also will extend the front axle forward. For an example of this search for tobias. I just bought some scrap tubing for cheap and fabbed my own extension but if you do not know how to weld I suggest you shell out the dough for one that has been welded.
Scott

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
swoodard23 said:
If you don't extend the front end then it just looks like a beetle without fenders. If you search that site a little more you will see that the alternative is shortening the body which also will extend the front axle forward. For an example of this search for tobias. I just bought some scrap tubing for cheap and fabbed my own extension but if you do not know how to weld I suggest you shell out the dough for one that has been welded.
Scott
ah.. gotcha

so you can just buy the extender kits?...

and i'm supposed to be taking "welding lessons" from a friend that works at the welding shop near my house..

but i'd screw up the welds so much

1 - 14 of 14 Posts