·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, didnt even notice the hacksaw. What I think is frikin' awesome is the connecting rod as a brake pedal. He also flipped a chrome oil pan and used it as a console!
Really nice era correct details on that second one.

Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
there not as cool as some of the trucks ive seen like that, but still cool.

saw a guy with a 40 ford cab chopped and channeld, 23 t bed, and only 3" of windsheild.

had a chevy I6 i beleive.. it looked wild.

they dont look good with hoods to me...

·
Registered
4,259 Posts

A 58 Buick Nailhead with 6 deuces followed up with 46 Ford brakes. Somehow the term RAT fits this POS!

That's the problem with a whole lot of "Rat Rods". Big engines and almost no brakes. The emphasis is on "period correctness" and not safety. I'd like to see the owner try to stop that thing in a hurry cause it can't be done. You have to wonder what some of these people are thinking. Cool is one thing but deadly is another.

Centerline

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe I just don't get it. I see the "Buy It Now" price and wonder why. I know there had to be a lot of measuring and fitting. But, why not make it as safe and complete as possible. I would have to agree with Centerline.

I have heard the arguments "Time Correct" and I can understand wanting to accomplish that. It just seems to me that the rodders of that period wanted to make their cars better and faster. So they used the best parts at the time. Don't you think they would have fabed disc brakes if they would have had them then? I think so, and other improvements.

I'm not trying to start a big debate on rat rods or not, it's just I would believe that the rodders would have used the best they could find.

This is just my thoughts, so I'll suit up now.

Pappy

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
I saw this post last night but didn't comment, I was thinking along the lines of Centerline and Beenaway. This guy is smoking something and he's not sharing! $23,500 buy it now for this ratty pos, some D.A. will spring because it's been in a magazine. I'll sell my T for 1/4 that price, maybe I should get it into a magazine, I could tear it up a bit, slop some primer on it, hmmmm. Dan

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not a "rat rod". People just like to call 'em that. Rat Rods are built with whatever you have or whatever you can afford. Rat Rods are way more rattier, often times a pain to drive.
This guy built the truck to be "era correct" and no expenses spared. It's all about the look in this particular case. Love it or hate it. Everyones entitled to their own opinion. He will get that price for it.
I think it's one of the most beautiful rods to come out in a long time, you might think different.
If I had the money, I'd buy it.

Mike

·
Registered
249 Posts
Rod de-jour

What you're seeing these days is Rat Rod production since that's the new "hot" thing.
The one aspect of Rat Rods I do like is bringing back the vintage engines.

Wasn't that long ago the "Hot" thing was tubbed out Pro Street cars with blowers through the hood. That kinda died. Lot of good cars got chopped up for that fad.
I like modified cars but keep the body modifications to something that will stand the test of time.
Hottest, longest running ticket at the moment is clean straight muscle cars. Doesn't need to be original matching number, but good sheet metal with correct brand engines. IMHO

As for pre 50's cars, they never go out of style. :thumbup:

·
Banned
431 Posts
Centerline said:
A 58 Buick Nailhead with 6 deuces followed up with 46 Ford brakes. Somehow the term RAT fits this POS!

That's the problem with a whole lot of "Rat Rods". Big engines and almost no brakes. The emphasis is on "period correctness" and not safety. I'd like to see the owner try to stop that thing in a hurry cause it can't be done. You have to wonder what some of these people are thinking. Cool is one thing but deadly is another.

Centerline
so it needs some upgraded brakes... that makes it a POS?

and sure the price is steep on it, but i'm not buying it, are you?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I saw that same rod on ebay a few weeks ago and he was wanting 28,500 for it. I see it has a lower price now and he's got a pretty good bid on it.

Two questions come to mind:

If I want something like that then I'm probably the type of guy who can and would build one, right? I could certainly build one for less than that and I'm not too worried about doing crappy work since nearly anyone can do that level of work with enough time. The cool artsy details not withstanding. I'm sure there's a market for these things but it must be pretty small.

This one is out there. Why can't I take some deuce rear quarters and trunk lid and graft them onto the truck cab for a real coupe look? Am I completely high on this one? Granted, there's still a lot of metal work to do to make it blend together and look decent but it seems feasible.

Wally

·
Registered
40 Posts
that thing is rad. I'd rather build it than buy it though, even if I had the money. It'd be fun just running through the countryside, salvage yard and your own garage and slap some silly thing together. Rods stop being "custom" when they are the same chopped, channeled, shaved, Fords with a 350/350 and a 9 inch. Bravo to you crazy looking rat truck builder, but good luck selling it.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Nightfire said:
Brakes are fine. If you want ABS and stop on a dime buy a honda:rolleyes:
Mike
Well, at 16 and with your vast amount of experience, exactly how many high powered little rods with antique Ford brakes have you driven? Your comment above proves the number is ZERO. The brakes on that POS were designed for dirt roads and 40 MPH. Not only that, if he did hit the brakes hard it's difficult to say which direction the driver would be facing by the time he eventually got it stopped.

Centerline

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.