Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this old car....needs the hood ord. re-chromed a local shop will not touch it because they say it is pop metal and it will probably be destroyed in the clean up...any suggestions?////

If I do find someone its pointless to rework an old part if a new one is cheaper...comments??

·
Rebuilt Excitment
595 Posts
Find a shop that specializes in old car. Do not let them kid you pot metal items can be re-chromed. Advance Plating out of Tenn is supposed to be very good. Also check with the local restorers and hot rodders, they may have a source.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
Eblack is right, there is no reason a piece of pot metal can't be chromed. I had a guy here in town that worked miracles with pot metal. Even if it was full of pits, I don't care how complex, how many body lines or what ever, he made it PERFECT.

But of course, before you plate a thing, what kind of car is it? Maybe there are repro parts that would be cheaper?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have seen Advanced Plating's displays at shows and it is impressive,tho I have no experience with their work. They advertise that they specialize in pot metal. (www.advancedplating.com)

You might also try Librandi's Plating near Harrisburg,PA. I believe they do quite a bit of antique auto work since they are quite near Hershey. (www.carchrome.com)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not sure if you are up to it here, but it can be prepped at home for rechroming. 3M makes a layered abrasive (you can find them in the scotchbrite line) It is called an EXL wheel. I have done several pieces for antique restorations. They strip old chrome off and put you a light polish away from rechroming. On the softer metals, they can go right to chrome. I use the 9SFN part number for this work. Ofcourse if the piece needs straightening, that is another animal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.