Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just now getting around to asking the question that caused me to find this forum, but here goes..

I've lately been considering TBI injection from a Chevrolet for other applications, and I'm wondering how difficult this could be.

Yes, I know Holley makes a TBI system to directly replace 4V carbs, but on top of being $800 or more, it's not been reviewed that nicely, and I've been thinking that it couldn't be that difficult to convert a system from a Chevy to run on something else. My problem is, fuel injection isn't something I know a great deal about. Plant me in front of a Holley, a Carter AFB or Thermoquad and I can have them torn down to parade rest and restored to perfect working order in mere minutes, but I've been rather out of the "loop" concerning induction for a number of years (though I found out on another thread that that's not the only thing I'm a bit behind on). Anybody know of anybody that's tried this, and what (if any) results they had?

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
You are going to have to have a compatable intake manifold or adapter, so you are limited by that for starters. ..........Why not find a TBI system for a later model of the engine that you want to convert.

BTW, what engine do you want to convert?

·
Registered
654 Posts
That is an interesting thought for an application for a non-Chevy engine. I haven't done it but Cad 500 parts has taken the tbi from a 454 and placed it on a 472 or a 500 Cadillac engine. http://www.cad500parts.com/

Frankly, the tbi doesn't know what engine it is on. If you use a similar displacement, similar cam with MAP sensor, the tps and O2 sensor from the Chevy it should work.

Mega squirt provides a self assembled ecm that you can tune as well. http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Also AFI provides conversion kits. http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/throttle-body-fuel-injection.htm

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to convert a small block Chrysler, or at least I'm seriously considering it. It's a 360, and currently in my Dodge 4x4 work truck, but my truck is an '87, and thus not originally fuel injected. Also, I'm pretty sure Mopar didn't use a TBI setup, they went straight to direct port and I didn't want the added trouble. Also, I'm fairly confident Chevy TBI is probably the simplest of them all, though I could be mistaken about this. Building an adapter for a TBI on top of my 4 barrel intake wouldn't be a problem for me, as I have ready access to a machine shop, and I'm thinking it would just be much simpler to use a Chevy system. If I'm incorrect in this, I'd be tickled to find out, though. It wouldn't break my heart to use a Dodge fuel injection system, provided I didn't have to change anything but the intake, and add some sensors and electronics. I just haven't researched it yet (that's what I'm doing now), since I've only been considering it for a week or so.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Will have to run a return line if you dont already have one for the fuel.

Why not get a MPFI setup. Since you have to run the wires and sensors and computers and all that why not do it? Much better setup all around. Unless you already have a TbI unit I'd look into a MPFI setup as well.

just my two cents.

Dylan.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,624 Posts
Stickman said:
I'm just now getting around to asking the question that caused me to find this forum, but here goes..

I've lately been considering TBI injection from a Chevrolet for other applications, and I'm wondering how difficult this could be.

Yes, I know Holley makes a TBI system to directly replace 4V carbs, but on top of being $800 or more, it's not been reviewed that nicely, and I've been thinking that it couldn't be that difficult to convert a system from a Chevy to run on something else. My problem is, fuel injection isn't something I know a great deal about. Plant me in front of a Holley, a Carter AFB or Thermoquad and I can have them torn down to parade rest and restored to perfect working order in mere minutes, but I've been rather out of the "loop" concerning induction for a number of years (though I found out on another thread that that's not the only thing I'm a bit behind on). Anybody know of anybody that's tried this, and what (if any) results they had?
http://cgi.amcforum.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Engine;action=display;num=1095174835

That is for an amc engine.
-matt

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Of course it will work. You will have to make all the needed mechanical changes, add needed sensor, adapt it to the intake. You will also have to do something for an ECU, obviously. You could try to retune the stock ecu to your engine, but you will have a hard time finding anyone to just do a custome chip. You could get a chip burner or romulator and use the tunercat stuff(www.tunercat.com), or you could go diy. Megasquirt is probably good for what you are doing and is very simple. If you want something a little nicer with more features genboard would easily do it as well. The advantage to genboard is that is has multiple WBO2 circuits built in and the ability to self tune and run closed loop all the time based on lambda table. You can find information at www.vems-group.org or shoot me a PM. I am running the genboard on my turbo engine.

Chris

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What type of PROM or chip do they use? I have an old ERPOM burner that I haven't used in years, and could probably rig it up to burn about any type of chip I needed to, provided I could get an accurate pin-out of it, and had a basic idea of how it (the chip) stores and uses data, and what I needed it to do once I get it into my TBI system.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Check out this forum.

TBI group

Distributor will be the hardest part, all the sensors can be bolted on easy enough.
I would try the stock computer first just dont get crazy with camshaft.

Also Haltech makes a computer for the TBI setup its not cheap but not as expensive as their other EFI systems.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Chrysler did offer a TBI set up, most of the early 90's 2.2's had them. I have also seen it on a dakota V6. The dakota V6 set up was from holley,hmm, wonder where that projection came from???

I personally haven't seen TBI on a Mopar V8, but I wouldn't be suprised since they did the V6.

I like the chevy TBI system myself. Almost bulletproof, very simple and reliable.

my 2cents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.