Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Chevy 350 TBI in a p/u truck that has set up for about 3 months. When I started it the motor will run fine for 3 - 5 minutes then begin to run rough and cut off. It appears to run very rich and gray black smoke comes out of the tailpipe. I have checked the gas tank, sending unit, fuel filter, etc. Once the motor is hot it does not want to start again. After the engine is cool it will start again and run well for 3 -5 minutes and shut down again. The motor will turn over once it is hot but will not fire off.

The spark is good and I just recently put in new plugs, new distributor cap and button. I thought it might be the computer and swap it out but have the same problem. Someone told me it could be the map sensor. The check engine light is on from the get go once I try starting it. Is there any way to test the map sensor?

Can someone offer any other assistance as I claim to be no mechanic (but am not afraid to play with it). Thanks......jack

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
I'm not an expert on TBIs, but they do have leaking problems around the O-ring seals. That might explain your problem. The extra rich mixture is masked by a cold engine, but as it gets hotter, it is too much.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts