Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I am new to the forum and have a question regarding the ecm. I have a 1990 454 ss and im removing the tbi 454 and putting an 80's carbed 454 in (not sure on exact year). My question is, what do I do with the ecm? If I get rid of it do I have to rewire everything, like my ignition, headlights, power windows, ect... Obviously im not sure if everything runs through the ecm or if it only controls fuel. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
life is a ride
1,540 Posts
shop manual?

The first thing to do is get the shop manuals for the '90 truck and '80 truck to find out what is controlled by the ECM on each vehicle. ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information

Even though the '80 engine has a carb it also will have an ECM that will control the carb and the timing. Try to get the '80 ECM and sensors from the donor car.

This engine could be made to work with a non-ECM carb and distributor. Aftermarket or boneyard.

In the '80s the auto makers were in a transition period to comply with the CAFE laws etc. Some strange things were being produced to comply.

vicrod

·
Registered
290 Posts
Any chance you could keep the tbi? Did the 454 change enough you cannot swap out the intake? I think there was a head deck height change but I cannot recall what year. If it can be converted to tbi I would go for it in a heart beat.
I am not found of carbs, unless I keep it all original.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The first thing to do is get the shop manuals for the '90 truck and '80 truck to find out what is controlled by the ECM on each vehicle. ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information

Even though the '80 engine has a carb it also will have an ECM that will control the carb and the timing. Try to get the '80 ECM and sensors from the donor car.

This engine could be made to work with a non-ECM carb and distributor. Aftermarket or boneyard.

In the '80s the auto makers were in a transition period to comply with the CAFE laws etc. Some strange things were being produced to comply.

vicrod

I see... Again, I don't know the exact year, so im hoping the donor truck can be 80-85 and still work. The casting date on the block is unreadable. Would it be easier to go non-ecm, I am doing a mild to moderate build. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any chance you could keep the tbi? Did the 454 change enough you cannot swap out the intake? I think there was a head deck height change but I cannot recall what year. If it can be converted to tbi I would go for it in a heart beat.
I am not found of carbs, unless I keep it all original.
I did think about that but I got a good deal on the new engine. im also stubborn and wanted to go carb haha, it'll probably kick me in the *** when I try to tune it properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts