Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get into the automobile industry but have little experience. I would like to get an aprenticeship but people hirering want people with experience, which is stupid, because an aprentice is supposed to give you experience. So I figure the best thing to do right now is to go to a tech school. I am not decided on one career, I just know I want something to do with automobiles. I would love to go to a school like whyotech, NADC, or lincoln tech, but they all run about 20 000 - 30 000$ US. I don't have that kind of cash.
So, I'm pretty much asking if anyone knows of any smaller tech schools where I can get some experience either with autobody or engines. My goal is to own a part time Rod/Custom shop in the distant future.
I'm going to post this in both Engines and Body - Exterior, becasue I'm not really partical to either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know 2 guys that had rod shops in the panhandle of texas, notice I said HAD, those guys on the "hotrod" tv shows have a reputation and their cars start at insane amounts. (just like the orange county choppers)

The 2 guys did a great job on making some neat cars with some very custom fab work, but that doesn't pay the bills the people that own the cars do.

Just something to think about

Edit: One guy that had a rod shop does general mechanics in the same shop

The other guy does transmissions and makes a nice living.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Training

A lot of your GM Dealerships have an apprentice program. You will probably start out doing Quick-Lubes and helping other Tech's in the shop. That way you learn some and if you bend over backwards to please the service manager and be at work on time they will usually move you into light maintance and start your GM training. Most GM training is done within the dealership by CPT courses. Most of the experienced line tech's will help you because you are helping them also. Also if you get into a dealer they have a ton of training tapes & books that can give you an idea of what's going on in the service area. Dealerships are always looking for young people to train and they realize everyone has to start somewhere. Good Luck........:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.