Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get into the automobile industry but have little experience. I would like to get an aprenticeship but people hirering want people with experience, which is stupid, because an aprentice is supposed to give you experience. So I figure the best thing to do right now is to go to a tech school. I am not decided on one career, I just know I want something to do with automobiles. I would love to go to a school like whyotech, NADC, or lincoln tech, but they all run about 20 000 - 30 000$ US. I don't have that kind of cash.
So, I'm pretty much asking if anyone knows of any smaller tech schools where I can get some experience either with autobody or engines. My goal is to own a part time Rod/Custom shop in the distant future.
I'm going to post this in both Engines and Body - Exterior, becasue I'm not really partical to either.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mollard,

Check out the tech schools and community colleges in your area. Community colleges do not get enough credit, although I might be a little biased as I work at one. Talk to the instructors and ask what they teach and how they teach. Is there a lot of lab time? What is the ratio of classroom to lab? I"m not putting Wyo Tech down at all but they don't tell you the whole story in their commercials. The automotive instructor here at this college is a big time streetrodder and would rather spend hundreds of hours fabricating something as opposed to buying it. He has been featured in some magazines with the cars he's built. He is awesome. If you have access to StreetRodder magazine get the latest issue and turn to page 108 and look for a 40 chevy in primer and you will get just a taste of his work. Community colleges offer a great value and are well worth the money. HOpe this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am at a tech school here in Tampa that is part of the community college. It is the Ford ASSET program. What we do is 9 weeks of school work, alternating with 9 weeks of dealership work. We have to get sponsored by a dealer in the area, but there are 21 kids and my class, and 19 are sponsored, the two that aren't are females.

When at the dealer, we are getting paid $8/hour the first year, and $9/hour the second year. We still have to cover tuition, which is $363/ 9 weeks, but working at the dealer will cover that in two weeks.

It is a very good program. My teacher is great, and I am glad that I got into a small school, instead of a Wyotech or whatever. I can't see it being this relaxed. Plus, we are sponsored by Ford, which means we have some pretty nice equipment.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is, I can't find any tech schools or community colleges around here. I live in a small town in southern ontario and all the colleges around here offer is an small continuing ed coarses and apprenticships.
I would prefer to go to a tech school first just to get my foot in the door. I want to go somewhere were I can go to school for a few hours each day and learn the basics. I am having a hard time finding anything liek this is Canada, which is why I am prepared to travel to the States. What school do you work at and how does it work. Do students attend school every day?
The colleges around here only offer apprenticeship, you work for someone then you go to school for 8 weeks of the year.

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
I live in northern lower Michigan. We have a local community college here that has an excellent automotive program. It has both certificate and associates degree programs. The college also offers financial aid to those who qualify and also helps students find grants to help with tuition. I taught engine repair there for 4 semesters. If you are interested, PM me and I can steer you to information about the program.

tom

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm attending Universal Technical Institute in phoenix, Arizona right now... It's a nice campus, great lab areas but I was hoping to get more lab time than I am. I go from 6:30AM til 12:45PM mon-fri. I paid about 25k dollars to get into this school but in the end, it's well worth it, as most dealerships or shop will pay your student loans (being from canada I don't know how that all would work for you). Also, getting into a manufacturer specific training program is a lot easier too. Most of the programs are exclusive to UTI. anyway, I believe they're starting a new "eccelorated learning" night class...4 days a week, 4 hours a day. You do all your classwork at home on the pc (they'll even sell you a pc for discounted price) and go to school for tests and lab expirience. But, a community college would prolly work better for you. Good luck and keep working til those dreams come true.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts