Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Footstomper
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a 500 cadillac engine, blueprinted and balanced, has a 120 towing style cam, idles at 600 rpm smoothly, 1975 vintage, with large chamber heads, the heads have been decked at 50K, the block at 18K, and the intake 30K. It has dished pistons from speedomotive. Has ~9.0 compression, eldebrock torquer intake, stock manifolds, 2.02 chevy stainless steel valves, cold oil pressure at 89 psi, hot 37 psi. Has frankenstein oil pan with a chevy oil pan mated to the bottom of the 500 pan with rear sump. At 4100 rpm the hp is 332. At 3200 rpm, 472 ft lbs torque. Engine temperature stayed under 180 on the dyno. No leaks. Spark plugs light tan as is the exhaust. The owner says he put a tighter spring in the oil pump, which he said he might replace it to the original. The oil line on the dyno appeared to be kinked slightly, I do not know if it effected the dyno readings. It could have the wrong gasket on the oil pump, too thin gasket causes end play on the gears. This is what I got from the cadillac info on this forum, the warning was only. "you don't want that". I wonder why too high pressure for the oil pump would be disasterous? The engine is for sale at 2000., runs great. I do not understand why all the milling on the block, heads and intake in conjunction with the dished pistons? He changed all the spark plugs because one was missing, it had a cracked porcelin. He cranked it again and it ran smoother, but I suspect he forgot to circulate the water, he ran it about 2 minutes and the temp started spiking sharpely, and he shut it down. I doubt that it hurt it, he volunteered to start it again, but I had to leave for a honey do task. Should I be a skeptic, or paranoid?

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
The burden of proof is on the seller.

That ain't the only Cadfish in the lake.

89 cold, 37 hot would worry me.

Even a 60 spring would still give you 37 hot pressure. I'd want 50+ above 2500 rpm and maybe 37 idle would be ok. I mean hot, 200 water and 220 oil.

·
Footstomper
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
xntrik

when they ran it on the dyno, the engine did not have a thermostat. The owner said that he thought it would have had more power. I suspect it is lower that 8:5 compression.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts