Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SBC 350 and am replacing the dash in my ‘31 Model A. It looks like I have to disconnect the water temperature gauge at the block in order to get it out of the wood dash. Will I have to drain the coolant to get the sensor out of the block or is there a shortcut. I’ll only need it disconnected long enough to get the gauge through the new dash which should only take a minute.

·
Administrator
18,541 Posts
It needs to be drained. You could find a plug the same size, unscrew the sender and quickly put the plug in, but you are still going to lose a bit of coolant

·
Magazines have “ISSUES”
994 Posts
Not necessary to drain the coolant, over kill, (kiss)

Is the sensor in on the intake? If yes just pull the probe let the coolant drain off.

Not talking very much coolant here. Only coolant lost will be ABOVE the intake, radiator tank.

If you had a way to seal the overflow and cap vent, that would seal the system. Could theoretically just pluck the sensor out, and loose nothing.

Otherwise you are just trying to put a finger in a damn removing the probe. And jamming a threaded plug in its place. And then reversing the process going back together.

Pull it let drain down, then top off when done, no sense fighting it.

pep

·
Mark Goulette
419 Posts
If you're quick, you can pull the sensing bulb and install a plug with very little coolant loss....Done it many times, but sometimes it doesn't always work as planned.........

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Always works as planned.

Remove the old one disconnecting it, then using a socket or enclosed wrench to loosen it. Once you can turn it by hand tighten it back in and get the other ready. Most newer ones come with red sealant on them already otherwise add some before loosening the old one and it will be tacky when your ready.

Ok 2 handed operation here. Loosen the old one with your bad hand and let it fall onto the towel on the shop floor. Then stab in the new one before tightening it.

Your going to loose around 10 oz of coolant. I have done this some 20 times and never had a issue.

Now if the motor was out I would replace the freeze plugs and remove the layer of gunk before doing this. But in car the method above works every time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts