Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
The temperature gage is designed to measure the coolant temp, not the engine temp. Thus the location of choice is a point just before the thermostat. If you are interested in things like the head temp or the oil temp, then install a sensor and gage designed to do that.

Trees

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
runn141 said:
would the water pump be a good enough location for the temperature gauge snender or the cylinder head?
I just noticed this WATER PUMP question-----

The water pump is not the place for the sending unit
The pump is pumping COOLED water from the radiator.
You want to read temps before the water enters the radiator.

Bryan

·
Registered
54 Posts
Will H said:
Put it on the left side of the block where Chevrolet put it after spending thousands of dollars looking for a good place.
Yea, so why does my '72 SBC have the sending unit in the drivers side head? This is for a idiot light though. Were the sending units for the gauge in this location too? :confused:
Sorry for jacking your thread runn141...

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
Will H said:
Put it on the left side of the block where Chevrolet put it after spending thousands of dollars looking for a good place.
I have seen them come from Chevrolet in two locations...on the side of the left head , and on the intake. I have never seen a temp sending unit on a Chevy on the left side of the block. :confused:

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
I think the stock senders are calibrated differently than the aftermarket ones.

When I tried to use the stock locations on the 454---my temp gage read much hotter than the car actually was.

Also tried this with the fan switches----too hot---Fans NEVER shut off

When I moved the senders to the intake----everything worked much better.

Bryan

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
If you look at the internal water bypass in SBC water pump you can see that its location causes the driver's side head to run hotter. Some advocate blocking this passage and drilling holes in the thermostat for internal bypass. Aftermarket water pumps often balance the water flow to each head for more consistent cooling.

Engines with bypass hoses on the water pumps bypass the entire engine equally, not just one side.

I prefer the sender on the intake manifold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.