Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
'62 'Vette, standard engine was the single 4 barrel carb 327 C.I.D. rated at [email protected] (torque was 350lb-ft @4000rpm). Optional choice was the F.I. 327 with 360bhp @ 6000rpm (352lb-ft @ 4000rpm). Quarter mile times of 14.5sec. @ 104mph with the F.I. and a 4 speed. Base price was $4038. 14,531 cars were registered in '62.

Granted, I cheated a bit while sourcing this info. My wife got me "The Ultimate History of Corvette" by Trevor Legate for my birthday. I had it read in less than a week....

In a while, Chet.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Corvettes were called Corvettes until 1963 when the new body style appeared and the Corvette had an added tag, Stingray. The Stingray designation later disappeared, about 1968 or so, I believe, and then it was back to Corvette. The new body was developed from the Mako Shark prototype show car and they are often referred to by enthusiasts as Mako Shark Corvettes, which distinguishes them from the earlier Stingrays and the later models.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 63-67 Corvettes were also called Sting Ray, two words. The 68 model didn't have any Stingray emblems. The 69-76 Corvettes wore Stingray (one word) emblems.

Dan

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I am pretty sure the 62 had a lot more engine choices. I know of one with a 340 horse 327. I used to have my head full of that stuff but it got deleted. The 61 and 62 are very similiar but I think the 62 lost the side cove trim. The grain of the dash material may have been different and also there was some differences in the sway bars if I remember correctly. And also the headlight trim is painted body color on the 62 or the top trim comes into it differently.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
kringold said:
I need to know what year and anything and everything about this Vette. What do you know?

62...... look at the little chromie fins in the side scoop.

What's with the screwed up letters above the grille opening?
and the open hood scoop?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yea someone added the Corvette letters above the grille and the hood scoop.Those "little chromie fins in the side scoop" are correct for a 62. The simulated vent treatment in the cove area was changed in 62 to a single louver, replacing the triple-spear vent.
The side lip on 62's was formed by the fiberglass body panels, not accented by bright trim as previously. Because the trim was removed, 62 Corvettes could not be ordered with coves painted to contrast overall body color.
62 was the first for the 327, previous V8 Corvettes had the 283. Base motor was 250 hp. Optional motors for 62 were 300, 340, and 360 hp versions of the 327.

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts