Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am retrofitting a 73 Mustang Conv, with 85 302HO Mustang and the ignition system. I have wired it like the diagram from mustang Steve on this web site and replaced everything eg (coil,Module,Regulator,Solenoid)but the pick up and still no spark, How can I test the pick up? Also the wiring diagram for the 85 shows a two speed electrical unit in the original wiring, do I need to install that as well? And I have just put the wiring back in the car, does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram for under the hood? The one that I found for 1972 in not complete for 1973. Just need to double check everything. Thanks for any help, Mike Putnam.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
with all the work and part replacement you have described and still no spark , makes me ask myself.... Is the ignition getting any B+ (12VDC) follow and verify the 12VDC, or missing a ground. block too frame ( - bat ) , ignition switch working or wired correctly. One more thought you should be looking at an 85 wiring diag, after all that is the ignition system you are working with right? can not speak too the 2speed thing you mention but if it is in there is has some function. Factory service manuals are the best resource for wiring diagrams and electrical information, some manuals are 100$$ but well worth the doe ra me. Second source a good friend at a ford dealer ship. Hope this will give you some more ideas.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

First , I AM not a Ford guy at all...

But I think your problem may lay with the fact your trying to run an 85 engine with a 73 Dura Spark...won't work.

IIRC , there were 2 generations of Dura spark, EECV1 and EECV2..you need to, if not already use the Didja spark from the 85 engine and wire it accordingly.

Kultulz is our Ford expert, perhaps he can confirm this.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
docvette said:
Doc here, :pimp:

First , I AM not a Ford guy at all...

But I think your problem may lay with the fact your trying to run an 85 engine with a 73 Dura Spark...won't work.

IIRC , there were 2 generations of Dura spark, EECV1 and EECV2..you need to, if not already use the Didja spark from the 85 engine and wire it accordingly.

Kultulz is our Ford expert, perhaps he can confirm this.

Doc :pimp:
I am using the Duraspark module & distributor that is for 1985. Do you or Kultulz know about the two speed unit that is listed in the 85 wiring diagram? Do I need it? Thanks Mike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.