Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What all has to be done to put a 700R4 in the place of the transmission I already have in my 79 camaro. What would be all the benefits if i did do this swap? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

·
Registered
48 Posts
You'll prolly have to move you're crossmember (drill new wholes in the frame). The 1st plus right off the bat would be the overdrive. 2nd it will prolly get you some better gas mileage. One of the con's would be (and this depend were/who built your 700r4) youmay not get that off the line punch TH350/TH400

Do you already have the 700r4?

What engine is gonna be infront of it?

Stroke:)

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
700R4 in a Second Gen. Camaro

If have not already, do a search on this board. Plenty of stuff regarding the 700R4. In fact, the first thread in this tech section by M&M CUSTOM is about this trans: http://www.hotrodders.com/t44407.html

I swapped a 700R4 into my 81’ Camaro about 8 years ago. Back then, there were not many aftermarket sources to help with this swap. But now, there are many different sources. Whatever route you take, you will need to cut the driveshaft 3”, move the cross member back 2”, and get an automatic 4-speed shifter. A TH350 yoke will work with the 700R4.

I would recommend you check out www.bowtieoverdrives.com . Besides selling different levels of transmissions and converters at competitive prices, they sell every conceivable part to make the swap a “no brainer”. They sell custom cross members that will eliminate the need to drill new holes (if your frame does not already have them). I had to drill holes and it was a real pain. Probably the most important and most overlooked aspect of a 700R4 swap is the TV cable. The TV cable must be set perfectly to assure proper operation and transmission longevity. They have custom brackets and cables for a wide variety of carbs and fuel injection systems. Do not be fooled into buying a “click” style TV cable and a universal bracket. The geometry at the throttle and TV plunger relationship to throttle position determines proper operating pressures. Bowtieoverdrives has a very detailed section on TV cables (how they work and why getting the relationship correct is so critical). They also sell electronic lockup kits that allow installation into non-computer controlled vehicles.

I installed a non-lockup 700R4 in my Camaro so I did not need the conversion kit. With a 4.10 rear and 28” tall tires, I run about 2450 RPM at 70 MPH. With my 385 fuel injected SBC, I get about 18 mpg. You will not regret the swap.

Regarding the off the line punch, there is plenty of it. With a 3.06 first gear, it pulls fine.

Good luck, Ed. www.edgesz28.com

·
Registered
48 Posts
Edge,

I could'nt agree more. I'm still putting my Chevelle back together, but when it ran the 700 was great......

Stroke

1 - 4 of 4 Posts