Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand there is an adjustment screw inside the where the vacuum line plugs into the transmission. I just put a new engine and a TH350 into our 65 Belair - it shifts too soon. Which way do you turn the screw to make it shift later? I'd like to turn it in right direction on first try to minimize the number of times I have to jack the car up and get underneath!
Thanks
Ed

·
Administrator
9,764 Posts
airworld2 said:
in for later shifts, out to shift later.
I believe airworld2 meant to post:

Thread the modulator screw in for later light throttle shifts..... out for earlier light throttle shifts

·
Registered
576 Posts

my answer was to the point, he ask which way to adjust the screw. my finger's need the rest. (too much typing) lol :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crosley said:
I believe airworld2 meant to post:

Thread the modulator screw in for later light throttle shifts..... out for earlier light throttle shifts
Thanks for response. But now you have me curious with the addition of the "light" shift comment.! As far as I understood, the crispness of the shifts can be changed with kits that mess with the control valves and/or clutches/bands or whatever inside - but there wasn't anything which you can do on making the shifts harder from outside the transmmission. Is this correct?

·
Registered
576 Posts

modulator on 350 deals with engine load via vacuum source, which can determine shift timing along governor. sometimes adjusting to later shift will firm them up but this is not a cure for slipping or a shift kit. to firm up shifts you need to enlarge feed holes and increase line pressure's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts