Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One more question.

I bought a rebuilt TH350 a few months ago. I got under my car this weekend and I noticed that the 2 bolts that hold the mount to the transmission case were loose. So I went to tighten them and they were stripped :eek: :eek: . Should I tap them out and insert studs with jb-weld, locktite,... or what?

Im not sure what caused this. Since, when I installed the mount I did not overtighten the bolts.

This trany cost me a pretty penny so I can't just replace it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
MOPAR Guy
186 Posts
I would drill out the holes to the next size larger and tap them. Either that or insert studs and actually weld the studs in. My experience with JB weld is that it holds until you need it most, then breaks. :drunk:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Though I'm not positive, aren't the mounting holes on the tailshaft? worst comes to worst - I believe you can replace the tailshaft without removing the transmission. I'm sure other more knowledge people on forum can answer for sure.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
One more vote for using Heli-coils here... They're relatively quick and easy and work great. Just make sure you get a set with a good tap in it. I got one with a lousy tap and the flutes started chipping off. Good Luck. :thumbup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I've never understood the helicoil thing. If you are drilling and tapping the hole to fit a bigger bolt why not just install a bigger bolt?

maybe thats just a dumb noob question. :smash:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi Vega
From the pict you posted, you may have already solved the problem with HeliCoils. But . . . . if you haven't the suggestion that the original tapped holes may have been metric is a good one. Remember it seems you stripped out BOTH bolts at the same time. Whodathunk? If they both were american bolts, and the holes were both metric, it'd make a lot more sense. You may want to check it out before using the helicoils.

Pat

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pat, that seems like the most logical explanation of WHY the things stripped in the first place. I'm first going down to the local junkjard and taking some stock bolts off to compare. If the correct bolts feel tight I might just use the green locktite and check them again in a few days. Im hoping that I stripped a very thin layer off the threads.

ps. Thats a pic from some website that explains how to use helicoils. Forgot where I got it though. :spank:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just had to put an update- since so many people (mechanics and gearheads that I know) keep insisting that the bolts should be standard not Metric. Well guess what, THEY ARE METRIC. I put a slightly longer metric bolt with some blue medium strength locktite and it grabbed good. I've used/abused the car now for a couple of weeks- I got under the car yesterday and the bolts haven't moved at all.

So, next time someone finds their mount bolts on the floor they might find this thread.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
585 Posts
If it all works out with the stock bolts I'd might rethink the green lock-tite. That stuff practically welds it together LOL. Blue should be fine with the correct bolts. If you do use the green remember that you will probably have to take a torch and heat the area up to get the bolts out. I have seen the green stuff take out threads. If memory serves me correctly Green is a retaining compound. When I worked at freightliner we used it in CAT diesel engines to hold the injector cups in place, extreme pressure and heat, neither of which will be on the trans mount (extreme I mean). And if the treads are wasted, Heli coil all the way,just be careful when drilling. If you don't have a depth gage just take a short length of metal coat hanger stick it in the hole till it bottoms out and mark it. Then transfer that measurement over to your drill bit and wrap it with electrical tape, you will then have a reference as to where to stop drilling. And as always wear them safety glasses, getting metal dug out of your eye sucks :spank: .......... Brian

·
Registered
585 Posts
well I have been working on this post for a while (in and out of the room) I see where you posted an hour ago.............I should have been quicker on the draw.........LOL Glad to here you went with the blue :mwink: Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.