Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TH350 mated up to a sbc 350 in a 65 Belair.
I adjusted the little screw inside the vacuum line hose bib to get the shift point between 1st and 2nd where I like it when throttle is wide open when accelerating from a standing start. The problem is that it still shifts way,way too quick from 2nd to 3rd. The kickdown cable I had was messed up so I don't have it installed now.
Is my problem that the kickdown cable is missing? or is there some other adjustment or problem in transmission which is making the 2nd to 3rd shift so quick in WOT?
Thanks!
Ed

·
Registered
906 Posts
sabino56,

The governor. What your transmission is doing is called "stack shifting". Clean the governor and be sure the springs are the correct ones.

Scholman

·
Administrator
9,769 Posts
sabino56 said:
I have a TH350 mated up to a sbc 350 in a 65 Belair.
I adjusted the little screw inside the vacuum line hose bib to get the shift point between 1st and 2nd where I like it when throttle is wide open when accelerating from a standing start. The problem is that it still shifts way,way too quick from 2nd to 3rd. The kickdown cable I had was messed up so I don't have it installed now.
Is my problem that the kickdown cable is missing? or is there some other adjustment or problem in transmission which is making the 2nd to 3rd shift so quick in WOT?
Thanks!
Ed
the cable will delay the shifts ( when hooked up)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'll put on kickdown cable and see how it does before getting into governor, etc.
Ed

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update.
I installed the kickdown cable and it did affect the 2nd to 3rd shift point. It shifts higher but still not quite right. I'm going to adjust the vacuum screw and see if I can get it where I want it without getting into goverernor, etc. I do have another problem - it won't reliably kick-down - but I'll post that separately.
I appreciate the previous responses
Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts