Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of swapping out my th350 for a powergilde in my 72 nova. What I'm wondering is if there's anything I'm going to need to know. Will I be able to re-use my crossmember and drive shaft? Any specific glides better than others for rebuilding? Thanks! :D

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
It is a direct swap using an aluminum case Powerglide, no mods at all except for the mechanical kickdown linkage on the glide if you are using it stock. Manual valvebody eliminates this. Driveshaft, slip yoke, mount and crossmember are all the same :) .

Stay away from the late 50's/early 60's iron case glide, it is worthless and not the same as later aluminum models.

Aluminum case V8 models have a 1.76 low gear, 6 cylinder models have a 1.82 low but are weaker is stock form.

You can use a TH-350 or 400 converter in the glide if using an aftermarket input shaft, stock shaft and glide converter are different, and a better input shaft is a good upgrade anyway if this is to be run hard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.