Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started up the truck with my fresh rebuilt ( I use that term loosely as I did it myself) 350 tranny and heard a nice :pain: rattling sound coming out of it.I thought I had left something loose under the truck but I checked around and everything seemed secure.Started it again ( I know-dumb) and she's rattlin good.The tranny fluid is still up in the dipstick tube,appears not to be circulating ( unless I overfilled it 8 litres approx. )

Any thoughts????

·
Administrator
9,764 Posts
123pugsy said:
Started up the truck with my fresh rebuilt ( I use that term loosely as I did it myself) 350 tranny and heard a nice :pain: rattling sound coming out of it.I thought I had left something loose under the truck but I checked around and everything seemed secure.Started it again ( I know-dumb) and she's rattlin good.The tranny fluid is still up in the dipstick tube,appears not to be circulating ( unless I overfilled it 8 litres approx. )

Any thoughts????
Broken pump.

Mis aligned converter at the time of tranny bolted to the engine?

Would the converter rotate freely after the tranny was bolted to the engine?

Pump gears in backwards?

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The converter was not jambed up against the flywheel , if that's what you mean. I didn't actually spin it as the bolt holes happened to line up when I bolted it together.

·
Registered
584 Posts
123pugsy said:
The converter was not jambed up against the flywheel , if that's what you mean. I didn't actually spin it as the bolt holes happened to line up when I bolted it together.
He means were you able to spin the converter freely before bolting it up to the flexplate. The converter should be about an inch away from the flexplate before bolting it up. Since you apparently didn't spin the converter to check everything before bolting it up, you can simply take the protecting plate off and unbolt the converter from the flexplate again and spin it to make sure everything is rotating freely. If it doesn't, then you definately have a binding problem relating to the converter meshing with the pump gear and need to pull the tranny out again. :pain: Hopefully you actually fully seated the converter. Alot of them that I've had to seat before are a bit tricky in determining whether they have seated fully or not.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is jambed or whatever,it looks like I gotta drop the tranny regardless.No?

Either the pump is screwed up from jambing the convertor or I installed the gears backward or...???...

No easy fix on a tranny is there? :drunk:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Welcome to my world pugsy. Ok so maybe you messed up,There are some definite do's and don'ts on installation.

Do make sure the converter is in all the way,classix lover tells you how to keep out of trouble, if you have doubts. When you bolt trans to engine always make sure the converter will spin free,always. If it does not, stop and find out why.

I believe Crosley has outlined both the cause and effect.

The converter should pull uo to flexplate no more than 1/4 inch,you don't want it coming out of the pump any more than that.

Good luck and please post back when you find problem.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if I had the gear in backwards.I will know if you guys can tell me which way they go according to my pics.Do they go with the keys all the way back (yellow arrow) or all the way to the front (red arrow) ?

I chewed up the gear keys. This is a spare set I have.The torque convertor is not damaged.

Thanks for the help so far ,Guys.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a pic of how it was installed .Hard to see the damage.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Th350 toast????

Pugsy the yellow arrow is the right way. If you trashed the pump ears["keys"] then you did not have the converter all the way in.

I've seen guys that have been in the business awhile make this mistake.

Remember,you can't go wrong if you make sure the converter is free to spin before you nail her in.

Push trans up on dowel pins,get bolts started then check converter,if it's free, start to tighten your bolts,then check again, Good luck!

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.I had the gear in right, that's a plus. I just hope it will run once I button it back up............... :sweat:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Victory! :thumbup: I installed the gear set in the pump and thanks to Classix,Briscoe and Crosley, I learned to check things a little more carefully. I slipped the pump over the converter and it wouldn't spin. I had to get back my seal and bushing and stick them in the old pump body to match the gears.(The gears were.0015" thicker causing it to bind.)Its running great now. The 283 seems to have more pep now than it did with the 700r4.

I noticed the 350 makes a LOT less noise than the 700.Is this normal or is this another symptom of a screwed up tranny?

Thanks for your help guys.

Pugsy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts