Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 Trans Am with a rebuilt th 350. Since I put trans back int the car I have had various problems with leaks. Pan gasket, dipstick, lines etc. The trans is currently leaking from the kickdown cable base so I will have to re-seal that fitting. My question is about how much tranny fluid leaks out at these seals. Recently about 1 1/2 quarts at least leaked out. Should that much fluid be returning back to the pan after the car has run? I guess I am wondering if there is some internal problem that is allowing so much fluid to be in the pan. Thanks for any info... Jim

·
AKA Lee in KC
527 Posts
When the car is running the converter is full of fluid (typically 3-4 quarts). When the car is shut off, about half the fluid in the converter drains back to the pan, so 1-1/2 to 2 quarts would be normal.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
As Lee said. when the engine is running the fluid level is even with the trans pan rail. After shutoff the fluid will drain back to pan so the fluid level will rise and can leak from bad seals at Speedo shaft, Shift lever shaft, Dentent cable, Dipstick tube, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.