Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have mostly been in the engine category of this site, i am hopping up my 350 and i just put in a th400 that was from a 79 truck with a 454, i put a stage 2 shift kit in it aswell, but i didnt know how to hook up the over drive, i saw the wire from the drivers side on the tranny, but i ddint want to screw anything up. Is it just a 12v source or do i need to do soemthing different. I also just put in a hurst pistol grip shifter, and i love it. i am puttin in a 2000 stall torque converter as well. but i wanted to know how to hook up the overdrive? Any helpo would be hugely appreciated. Thanx Marc

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
That isn't overdrive. It is the kickdown switch for passing gear. You can put a switch on the throttle linkage or gas pedal and adjust it to where you like the trans to downshift.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Turbo 400's don't have an over drive, that connection you saw on the drivers side of it is for the kick down solenoid. Factory th400 equipped vehicles usually have a switch built in near that throttle petal under the dash that energizes that solenoid at full throttle. When it is energized it will delay up shifts, increase line pressure and provide your passing gear(kick down). You can either retro fit a factory switch from another truck that was so equipped or order a kick down from b&m that will connect up to the throttle linkage at the carb similar to a turbo 350 tranny.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awsome, i knew about the passing part, i was just confuzed, My hurst pistol grip has a button on it, which is connected to nothing. could i hook that up to a 12 volt source and then to the passing gear line?

·
Registered
84 Posts
th400

I just put a spring loaded toggle type switch on my console..It works just fine .

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well thats the same on the pistol grip it only activate when ur holding it down, would that be the same?

·
Registered
84 Posts

Exactly...let go when you want to shift, push it when you want to downshift. I like it right next to me on the console. I'm about to say goodbye to it soon though, because I plan on getting a 700 or 200 overdrive tranny in January from bowtie overdrives in Hesperia, Ca. I'm leaning toward the 200 because of the closer 1-2 shift. I'm going for their level 3.
1969 427 Corvette 9 to 1 comp ratio
th400 trans
3:55 rear
comp cams 268/280 exteme energy 224/230 @ 50 .515/.520 lift 110 lobe centers
roller rockers
iron heads gasket matched & a little bowl work 2.19/1.88 valves
edlebrock performer gasket matched
demon 750 double pumper
aftermarket aluminum radiator w/ electric only fans (the best thing I ever did)
I have no idea how much hp it's making. Do you think the 700 or 200 od trans will hold up?

·
Registered
84 Posts
kick down

I don't know that much, I've just learned over the years by trial and error more than anything else. I don't know if you'd want the kick down button on the gear shift, because you've got to hold it down when you want it on, and you might accidentally move the gear shifter-I;ve got the switch down on the console right next to my hip where it's handy but out of the way too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts