Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post so be gentle.

My '69 Camaro currently runs a SBC with a TH350. The tranny is on the way out and I have access to a 'free' TH400. NOTE: from a mid 80's GM 1Ton 4x4. The TH400 has already been freshened. My primary concern is with the tail shaft and what I would need once the transfer case is removed? Tail shaft housing etc..

Other concerns include compatibility with the cross member, diveshaft length, yoke, etc...

I'm sure there are others out there that have done this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
You have a shorter tail shaft in this T400................You would have to gut the tranny to change it. hardly worth it. See if you can trade this tranny for a T350, that will fit your car.

A tranny shop might go for it, as the T400 is worth more money.

·
Registered
724 Posts
My first question would be why? a th350 is easly able to take the power of most small blocks and will waist less power to turn than a 400 +wiegh less
The 4x4 th 400 is ment to be attached to a transfere case so its not a good choice anyway

For installing a 2wd 400:
-you will need to shorten your drive shaft and change the yoke
-You will need a 400 cross member
-install a kick down switch

Your best bet is to get a new 350 built for it which you can do fairly in expensively

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
The Turbo 400 crossmember will have the mount holes a half-inch or so to the right of where you'll need them, but they can be adjusted with a drill or grinder. They were only used behing big-blocks on those cars, & the BB engine brackets position the engine slightly to the right of the SB position.

The T400 used in those cars had a 4" tailshaft housing, & as far as I know, the shaft itself & the matching housing are all that's needed to change the configuration, but the trans has to be completely taken apart to change the shaft. The guy who built my T350 said he charges $75 for a "gut swap," but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts