Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

I have this tranny in my Jeep with a Chevy Crate 350 and a cam. I enjoy it but I want to learn more about it. It is a 1987. I have no idea what it was removed from. I'd like to know but have searched endlessly and can not find anything other than maybe a 4x4 or van. I have found countless Firebird, Camaro and a Corvette designations but thats about it. What does the "TX" come out of?

Here is what I have: 7TXM351B

Pics on my profile http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/Blue84JeepCJ7

Now for the questions.

I have a manual switch for the lockup. I hope I am using the correct terminology. From a stop I start off in first, shifts into second at 12mph and third at 22 mph. Shifts into fourth at 55mph.

Now, from a stop with lockup activated. First, second then when I hit 22 mph... third....but the lockup kicks in with a large drop in rpm almost too low of an rpm. I can floor it and certainly speed up but it just ain't kosher! Now, once I get to 43 its running nice again until I hit 55. Here it shifts into fourth and lockup drops the rpm again to almost too low. Much better at 60-65.

At 55 with lockout my vacuum is about 7". I read somewhere the author prefered a sensor of 7.5". I literally have to floor the pedal at 0" to get the lockout to kick out.

Am I getting lockout in both 3rd and 4th? I do not mind leaving the switch off until 43mph but then at 55 I have to switch it back off until I get to 60-65.

Is there a way I can adjust the TV cable or am I better off adding some sort of sensor?

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
K case is from a 4x4. Dunno which one, but from your auto shift speeds it seems the governor is dialed in good for your app.

Toggle switch is OK for lockup control. You may consider leaving it in the OFF position for full throttle acceleration. ON once you have reached cruising speed. It is possible to get lockup in 2,3 & 4.

The vacuum rating of a switch will vary depending on engine, state of tune, vehicle weight, right foot etc.

There are adjustable vacuum operated electrical switches out there. One doesn't need to spend all that money for a 'kit' if they are willing to use their head.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.