Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The journalist did all his research via my neighbors parked near me. I was cooling off and snoozing in my hotel room. My stubby shifter for the manual 5-speed caught his attention as 99% of the Ts are autos, so he asked around and found out that it "corners like it is on rails" from the guy that followed me up the mountain to Rock City.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
It does look like a ball to drive, you did a fine job that is for sure.

Brian

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian,

I'm swapping engines again next month (the winter project). Decided to have a real pro build this one, Scott Shafiroff Racing's fuel injected 427 sbc. Won't have the grunt at 2800 rpm of the engine I'm pulling out, but will have good zing at the top end.

525 hp @ 5600
550 lb/ft @ 4200

And of course all it has to push is 1790 lbs.

The ET calculator says 9.25 seconds for the 1/4, better than 1.5 seconds faster than the last zinger engine, and 2+ seconds faster than my current torquey engine.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
All I can say is WOW, I have never had anything anywhere near that fast. I can only imagine, must be wild.

Brian

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Brian,

Since your a neighbor (almost) you know my area in the Sierra Foothills is the perfect place road-wise to enjoy the ride. I hope during next cruising season you cross the valley and come to Placerville at Hog Wild Ribs for our 1st and 3rd Monday of the month gathering, we'll go for a ride.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess it depends on what you like..:D
Sure beats a EV..:thumbup:
Don't know what you like, but I like pulling 1.02G in turns and have a nice idling, good street manners ride that can rip a 9 second 1/4. It is all about low CG and minimal mass.

To me, if it is over 2000 lbs, it is too heavy. As light as a GT40 is (2400 lbs), and I still would like to have one, it would take over 700 hp to get a 9.25 ET. A late 60's muscle car at 3900 lbs would take over 1,100 hp for the same performance. It is just so much easier to run a light weight car with a mild, streetable engine.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
Don't know what you like, but I like pulling 1.02G in turns and have a nice idling, good street manners ride that can rip a 9 second 1/4. It is all about low CG and minimal mass.

To me, if it is over 2000 lbs, it is too heavy. As light as a GT40 is (2400 lbs), and I still would like to have one, it would take over 700 hp to get a 9.25 ET. A late 60's muscle car at 3900 lbs would take over 1,100 hp for the same performance. It is just so much easier to run a light weight car with a mild, streetable engine.
Has it been down the track to have these times ?? Or did you just figure that out.. Big difference at the track then on paper.. I would love to see it run 9.25 at the track..;)

I never knew you could have both worlds.. geared high, For the top end, And also be fast in the 1/4 as well...I sure thought it was one or the other..

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has it been down the track to have these times ?? Or did you just figure that out.. Big difference at the track then on paper.. I would love to see it run 9.25 at the track..;)

I never knew you could have both worlds.. geared high, For the top end, And also be fast in the 1/4 as well...I sure thought it was one or the other..
The Track-T ran Sacramento Raceway 3 years ago with the 355, 10.8 @ 132. The 383 with 68 hp less runs 11.4 on the G-Tech. The 9.25 is what the 1/4 mile calculator says it could run (traction permitting, good launch) with 525 hp and its current weight.

Like I said Randy, it is a weight thing.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
deckofficer, congrats on the ink in Street Rodder! that's pretty cool they took notice of your neat track-t in that sea of cars.

Awesome!
Thanks cseay1949. I think the manual transmission caught their attention as most other rides have more bling and shine up better than mine. My neighbor said the guy got on his knees and noticed how low the engine and trans was mounted and 3" shaved off the oil pan for road clearance. He could tell it was built for performance and not show.

·
Registered
396 Posts
the red 49 Ford pickup in my avatar ran a 5-speed manual, and that always seemed to catch peoples attention. was really fun to drive too .. 87 Mustang GT 5.0 roller cam motor and T-5 trans .. with a 3.35 first gear ratio and a 3.70 9" out back it would launch hard with a very mild motor, but purr like a kitten in 5th gear on the highway

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cseay1949,

We are on the same wavelength. The 355 had a loud exhaust bark and back then was running a Muncie M21 4 speed. The 383 was built for low rpm torque, and without changing the exhaust system had a nice quiet rumble with no bark. Combine that with the upgrade to the Tremec TKO 600 with the 0.64 OD, and highway cruising just had wind noise. I figure the OD did such a good job of noise reduction that I'm going to go with an engine that has more top end zing.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
The Track-T ran Sacramento Raceway 3 years ago with the 355, 10.8 @ 132. The 383 with 68 hp less runs 11.4 on the G-Tech. The 9.25 is what the 1/4 mile calculator says it could run (traction permitting, good launch) with 525 hp and its current weight.

Like I said Randy, it is a weight thing.

This is some of the reason I asked..:thumbup:
(traction permitting, good launch)

As far as the calculator goes.. I seen a lot of people disappionted at the track when their car doesn't run as well as it did by the calculator..:D
A lot of things come into play at the track.. I know you know what I mean..

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is some of the reason I asked..:thumbup:
(traction permitting, good launch)

As far as the calculator goes.. I seen a lot of people disappionted at the track when their car doesn't run as well as it did by the calculator..:D
A lot of things come into play at the track.. I know you know what I mean..
I know you know, like the time I missed a gear. The G-Tech works perfectly, and I depend on it because I only got to run at the track on a night their scales were down for repair. The G-Tech is so sensitive it could record a 12 hp increase on a 8000 lb diesel 4X4 pick-up.

What I love is the disappointment among the T crowd when we have a gathering that includes a dyno. All these so called 500 hp engines only putting 200 hp to the rollers. It kind of kills off bench racing. Chris will be bringing his transportable dyno to Carson City for the NATS, and I'm looking forward to seeing others make a pull, and of course me doing another pull.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Very, very nice! I love it! I also think that you're going to run faster than you've calculated. Some of my Impala friends are running 8's and 9's with 4000 lb cars and not much more HP than your new setup...'course it all depends on the "complete package" I suppose. Anyway, love the car! :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.