Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HK, I just wanted to say "Thank you". You've answered some of my questions about painting and I've read others that you've posted and they all helped on my first try at painting my truck. I've done alot of woodworking and sprayed alot urethanes and lacquers for that, but never painted a car before, the tips and wisdom you've posted help me very much.
The truck is a'46 Chevy Panel and I painted the firewall area so I can get the motor and trans mounted. The paint I used was Nason ful-thane urethane with med. reducer and hardener. The color is red, "Emergency-One" fire truck fleet red. It came out great. I did have one run in it, but its down near the trans tunnel so it won't be seen.
Now I do have another question, Will I need to buff the paint out? Right now its drying and still looks slick and wet.
Again HK "Thanks for all your advice and wisdom". :D

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Happy to help :D

You don't have to buff the paint out if your happy with the surface as it is. Buffing is an added step to smooth out and make the paint shine. It doesn't need to be done. If fact some painters don't do it because the finish they have sprayed on is sublime already. It can always be done later if its needed. Wait about a month for its first wash and use a good carnuba wax on it :D

HK

1 - 2 of 2 Posts