Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"that's True" Or "you're Lying"

Hey Friends,
Thought we might have some fun with this. Tell about an automotive experience you've had that made other peoples eyes kind of roll. You know, that look you get, like "yeah, right dude, you expect me to believe that crap. Rules are, no getting mad if somebody says "you're lying". Only one response per poster allowed, no squabbling. Try to keep the story brief. I think it might generate some hilarious posts. I'll start it off with a true experience that nobody seems to believe.
EDIT- It has to be a true story that you'll swear on a stack of bibles to,just nobody seems to believe it. No fabrication, no spindoctors. Please use the quote function to respond so folks will know which story you're responding to,"That's True" or "You're Lying". Submit your own story or just respond to another. Thanks. :thumbup:

Driving a company truck down the interstate hwy. Truck was always overloaded and seemed to track crooked. Sunny day, all a sudden I come into a rain shower. Truck started hydro planing, rear spun out. I steered into the slide and did two complete 360's without leaving the road, got it back under control and continued on my way down the highway.

"Thats true" or "You're Lying" :) :rolleyes: olnolan
 

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
Joined
·
16,459 Posts
The problem is, I have told all my stories here already!

Brian
 

·
oldsmobile compatible
Joined
·
166 Posts
My story is true. I don't have time to make one up so no one has to judge that I'd be lying. Here goes.

Up in here in Winnipeg we get a lot of snow over the winter. To keep the streets clean, a lot of it is pushed up to the side with a grader. This snowbanks are usually about three to four feet high on most residential streets.

In the spring when the weather gets nicer, the snow on the street melts and freezes up at night making the streets pretty slippery.

When I was 16, I was over at my cousin's during one of those nice days. At night when I left, the street had frozen up. I was driving my dad's 1986 Park Avenue. It was hard to get traction and the digital speedometer would climb without me moving very much. I got a kick out of this, so I floored it to see how high I could get the speedometer to go. It got up pretty high, but I also started to pick up some speed.

A stop sign was comingup so I took my foot off the gas. That's when I completely lost control of the car. It swerved left, and then sharply to the right. I went up and over the snow embankment. The car landed in a driveway just before the stop sign and the momentum got it balancing on both left wheels. I thought it was about to tip when it flopped back onto all four wheels.

The car was sitting in the driveway like I had parked it there. I counted myself as pretty lucky the car didn't flip, but I was sure the steering or suspention or something was broken. I put the car in reverse and backed out of the driveway. The car drove like nothing had happened. :sweat:

I went home and never mentioned the story to my folks up until three years ago. They can't ground me now.

The fact nothing broke on the car when it landed makes me question sometimes if this really happened. But it did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
That sounds like a likely story,, so I'm calling it a true story,
Here is my story, when I was in high school, in about 55 or 56,, I lived about a 1/4 mile from school,, my dad was working nights . so I thought I could probably rush home at lunch time, take my dads car, cruise back up to school so all the kids could see me cruising in pops car, so thats what I did,, the trouble started when I took it back home,
I turned into the driveway, and not wanting to take a chance on waking my dad, and risking the death penalty, I turned the motor off, and turned in to our drive way, just in time to find out I didn't have any brakes .[ those new fangled power brakes don't work with out a running engine and vacuum]
So I crashed through the garage door, and rear ended his P/U that was in the garage, jumped out and ran back to school, about a hour later he was at the school to pick me up,, the after math is something I can't describe, real close to attempted murder,, I thought anyway,, :nono:

I certainly don't recommend trying this trick at home,,
 

·
one full turn after it squeeks
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
OK, my turn. Back in the 50's I had a "fugly" 47 Chebbie 4dr sedan with a babbit crank hot water six and vacum shift. I drove it like it was stolen and one night my best Bud and I decided to drive out to the Gulf Oil Field and siphon a tank of gas from one of those old Casinghead tanks. By the time we got home, the valves were clattering and within two days I was pulling the heads, doing a valve job and draining the gas tank.
 

·
Analog man in a digital world.
Joined
·
2,252 Posts
True story.

Back in the mid-70's there was supposedly a 427 Vette in Galesburg, IL. that was fully street legal, ran 10's and could lift the tires in all 4 gears. We all cried "BS!" on that one then one day I was coming up a side street and ahead of me in the opposite lane sitting at a stop light crossing Grand Ave. sat a Gold '69 Vette. I could see it had big meats on the back. I was about 3 blocks back when the light turned green and he launched across the intersection front wheels in the air, just as they touched he grabbed 2nd and up they came again not quite as far but still pretty impressive. By now I'm on the brakes because I do NOT believe what I'm seeing. He grabs 3rd and they come up about 6 inches and then he just gets daylight under them in 4th. He went flying by me and about blew the windows out of my car. he was running open headers and wrinkle walls on the back. Not quite "street legal" but it WAS on the street and he DID pull the front tires in all 4.

I don't blame anybody that wants to call BS but I saw what I saw. :cool:
 

·
31 five window
Joined
·
1,596 Posts
Hippie said:
True story.

Back in the mid-70's there was supposedly a 427 Vette in Galesburg, IL. that was fully street legal, ran 10's and could lift the tires in all 4 gears. We all cried "BS!" on that one then one day I was coming up a side street and ahead of me in the opposite lane sitting at a stop light crossing Grand Ave. sat a Gold '69 Vette. I could see it had big meats on the back. I was about 3 blocks back when the light turned green and he launched across the intersection front wheels in the air, just as they touched he grabbed 2nd and up they came again not quite as far but still pretty impressive. By now I'm on the brakes because I do NOT believe what I'm seeing. He grabs 3rd and they come up about 6 inches and then he just gets daylight under them in 4th. He went flying by me and about blew the windows out of my car. he was running open headers and wrinkle walls on the back. Not quite "street legal" but it WAS on the street and he DID pull the front tires in all 4.

I don't blame anybody that wants to call BS but I saw what I saw. :cool:
I can believe it. A lot of power and bad front shocks will give you a bounce wheelie if you catch it just right. :thumbup:
 

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
Joined
·
10,722 Posts
That`s kinda like the story the guy told on here that he had a nissan truck or some kinda small foreign job that was tubbed. He said he had a LS1 turbo charged in it and he had gotten the engine from a Corvette from the police department in texas, I won`t name the city. Anyways, he says he`s getting oil in the coolant and not vice versa. He said he was sitting at a stop light when a mustang pulled up beside him, started revving up on it so he retaliated. He said the light turned green and he launched with the wheels in the air. I told him he was full of it, a light bed pickup, tubbed, cold tires, cold asphalt, and it toted the wheels, I said that`s pure BS. He got mad and argued the point, but me and one other were the only 2 that replied to his post, and I only replied to tell him he was full of it. I took a look at the town in texas where he got the "corvette police car" and they didn`t have any corvettes, but they did have camaro`s. So yeah, he could have gotten a LS1, and yeah, he could have turbo charged it, but pick the wheels up on cold tires and asphalt? I ain`t buying that. I`ve had many strange experiences with automotive, but I`ve never seen oil get into the coolant. I have seen tranny fluid get into the coolant when the internal cooler blew in the radiator, but never motor oil in the coolant, Anybody else ever seen that? He said the radiator was full of oil but there was no coolant in the oil pan.
 

·
Petrol Head
Joined
·
22 Posts
Yeah I don't believe the story about the pick-up for a second.

Here's mine:
Senior year, I take my Lemans to school. I had only picked it up about a month prior, and had only been driving it for a couple weeks, so I was itchin to show it off.
Lunch bell rings and I'm already turning it over, hungry as hell and with just a credit card on me. So I cruise out of the school and over towards the Jack in the Box across the street. I miss my turn and am forced back a quarter mile on this straightaway. I pull a U and give it some gas, hoping to catch the light. I do, and coast left at about 30 into this long turn lane. All of a sudden the car jolts a little and I hear this loud scraping noise. So I quickly break, thinking it's my exhaust pipe that's gone down. As I stop, for some reason I look to my left, and catch a glimpse of my left rear tire catch up, speed ahead, jump the curb and nail an SUV head on. So here I am sitting on the axle, and not two seconds after my wheel flies off, a woman pulls in behind me and starts blaring her horn, expecting me to continue on and make the turn. I motioned her around and got the meanest of glares.

I found the wheel a good 300 yards in the opposite diection of where I was heading, in some bushes across 4 lanes.

Oh, and then not a single person of the dozens of cars that passed me stopped to help. Now I didnt expect it from all the new mustangs and prius', but I even had a couple classics pass me right by.
 

·
boatbob2
Joined
·
1,385 Posts
Heres my story.

HI,in 1961 i was in the Army stationed at Fort benning georgia,i had a 1960 CORVAIR,with blue scallops paintedon the hood and rear raced many people,never lost a race. that CORVAIR would pick up the front tires about 4 inches and hold it until i hit 2nd gear. i had put on 4 carbs,then 6 carbs,then took the carbs off,and put 6 s/s legs from the center (over the cooling fan) the legs met in the center,where i had a studebaker hawk,4 brl carb. still wasnt too fast,so we put on a blower off of a 57 thunderbird (Mccolough) as i remember.blower was a do 57,after this this this thing was NEVER beat. i swiped a S/S bowl from the mess hall to enclose the carb,and piped the air into the side of the bowl. car ran 11.76 . :) (Harvey Crane machined a custom cam for it,then his shop was in Hallandale,Fla.)
 

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
Joined
·
13,765 Posts
boatbob2 said:
HI,in 1961 i was in the Army stationed at Fort benning georgia,i had a 1960 CORVAIR,with blue scallops paintedon the hood and rear raced many people,never lost a race. that CORVAIR would pick up the front tires about 4 inches and hold it until i hit 2nd gear. i had put on 4 carbs,then 6 carbs,then took the carbs off,and put 6 s/s legs from the center (over the cooling fan) the legs met in the center,where i had a studebaker hawk,4 brl carb. still wasnt too fast,so we put on a blower off of a 57 thunderbird (Mccolough) as i remember.blower was a do 57,after this this this thing was NEVER beat. i swiped a S/S bowl from the mess hall to enclose the carb,and piped the air into the side of the bowl. car ran 11.76 . :) (Harvey Crane machined a custom cam for it,then his shop was in Hallandale,Fla.)
Are you sticking to it. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats True

Matt44 said:
Yeah I don't believe the story about the pick-up for a second.

Here's mine:
Senior year, I take my Lemans to school. I had only picked it up about a month prior, and had only been driving it for a couple weeks, so I was itchin to show it off.
Lunch bell rings and I'm already turning it over, hungry as hell and with just a credit card on me. So I cruise out of the school and over towards the Jack in the Box across the street. I miss my turn and am forced back a quarter mile on this straightaway. I pull a U and give it some gas, hoping to catch the light. I do, and coast left at about 30 into this long turn lane. All of a sudden the car jolts a little and I hear this loud scraping noise. So I quickly break, thinking it's my exhaust pipe that's gone down. As I stop, for some reason I look to my left, and catch a glimpse of my left rear tire catch up, speed ahead, jump the curb and nail an SUV head on. So here I am sitting on the axle, and not two seconds after my wheel flies off, a woman pulls in behind me and starts blaring her horn, expecting me to continue on and make the turn. I motioned her around and got the meanest of glares.

I found the wheel a good 300 yards in the opposite diection of where I was heading, in some bushes across 4 lanes.

Oh, and then not a single person of the dozens of cars that passed me stopped to help. Now I didnt expect it from all the new mustangs and prius', but I even had a couple classics pass me right by.

THATS TRUE, :thumbup: OLNOLAN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He Was Lying

DoubleVision said:
That`s kinda like the story the guy told on here that he had a nissan truck or some kinda small foreign job that was tubbed. He said he had a LS1 turbo charged in it and he had gotten the engine from a Corvette from the police department in texas, I won`t name the city. Anyways, he says he`s getting oil in the coolant and not vice versa. He said he was sitting at a stop light when a mustang pulled up beside him, started revving up on it so he retaliated. He said the light turned green and he launched with the wheels in the air. I told him he was full of it, a light bed pickup, tubbed, cold tires, cold asphalt, and it toted the wheels, I said that`s pure BS. He got mad and argued the point, but me and one other were the only 2 that replied to his post, and I only replied to tell him he was full of it. I took a look at the town in texas where he got the "corvette police car" and they didn`t have any corvettes, but they did have camaro`s. So yeah, he could have gotten a LS1, and yeah, he could have turbo charged it, but pick the wheels up on cold tires and asphalt? I ain`t buying that. I`ve had many strange experiences with automotive, but I`ve never seen oil get into the coolant. I have seen tranny fluid get into the coolant when the internal cooler blew in the radiator, but never motor oil in the coolant, Anybody else ever seen that? He said the radiator was full of oil but there was no coolant in the oil pan.

I think he was lying to :thumbup: you Man. olnolan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i gotta think about this one and the wheelie vette????

boatbob2 said:
HI,in 1961 i was in the Army stationed at Fort benning georgia,i had a 1960 CORVAIR,with blue scallops paintedon the hood and rear raced many people,never lost a race. that CORVAIR would pick up the front tires about 4 inches and hold it until i hit 2nd gear. i had put on 4 carbs,then 6 carbs,then took the carbs off,and put 6 s/s legs from the center (over the cooling fan) the legs met in the center,where i had a studebaker hawk,4 brl carb. still wasnt too fast,so we put on a blower off of a 57 thunderbird (Mccolough) as i remember.blower was a do 57,after this this this thing was NEVER beat. i swiped a S/S bowl from the mess hall to enclose the carb,and piped the air into the side of the bowl. car ran 11.76 . :) (Harvey Crane machined a custom cam for it,then his shop was in Hallandale,Fla.)

I don't know Man, I gotta think about this one and the wheelie vette????????
:rolleyes: olnolan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Had a very competitive girlfriend back in college and she like to race anything that sat next to her at the light. I had two cars at the time, a old junky work truck and a '71 pinto (don't laugh, it was a real sleeper). One night we were driving separate cars back from the mud bog races at the stadium and she decides that it is game on. I see my little slot car zoom by me wide open down a relatively busy mountain pass road (4 lanes). The dew had condensed on the road towards the bottm of a two mile 5% grade, yeah she was flying. Next thing I see I will remember like it was yesterday until I die. Coming into a sweeping right bend she brakes too hard and looses trak in the rear, of course she panicked and stomped on the brakes locking them up and sealing her fate for the next few seconds. I saw the headlights four times as she danced across all four lanes slipping right in between two sets of on coming traffic, backwards up and over the center median which consisted of two curbs (one on each side) how she didn't flip I will never know. As the car was coming to the far side of the road there was a break in the curb and a dirt road to nowhere. slid right through the break and stopped softly in the hard pack dirt, not a scratch. If it was a stunt driver it would have taken 9 months of trig calcs to get the trajectory figured out.
Unfortunately all true
Mike
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top