Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening!

This is my first port here :welcome:

I`m a swedish designer with a great passion for hot rods and custom bikes. I`ve just completed a little project that I thought you guys might find inspiring.
Since I can`t weld, shape sheet metal or build engines, but still felt that I had to build "my" coupe, I used the tools I know. This means that this design is 100% digital and so is all the images.
It´s based on a model A which has been channeled, sectioned and chopped.
The engine is a Chevy small block with Stromberg carbs and custom headers.

I hope you like it:)

Best regards,
Mike Lugnegard

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/56211_10151202992163826_1534797315_o.jpg

·
www.jakesmith.de
20 Posts
Oh thats interesting, you chose maya over alias? I only ask as I am in my final year at Cov Uni, and I'm trying to figure out which package to use...

btw have you studied at UMEA?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For this kind of modeling I´d chose Maya/Max/Modo over Alias any day. Poly´s are far greater when it comes to sketching, tweaking, modeling, making big changes etc etc.
Alias IS great for perfect surfaces, not for details.
Yes, I´ve studied at Umea, on the BA programme :) GREAT school!

·
www.jakesmith.de
20 Posts
Thanks this is really useful info! I've always love clay modelling, but now I need to quickly learn CAD (again) and seeing I'm starting from a low level, I am open to suggestion as to which one to learn in detail!

Seeing as my final major project will mostly be modelled in clay, surface purity isnt really what I am focused on, I am more interested in using cad to make an animation...

You tempted to do a masters at UMEA?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, starting from a low level is always hard, especially when we´re talking automotive design.
I love Maya, Modo and Max, because they fit my workflow. Maya is a killer for animation, but expect a steep learning curve :) Alias rocks for perfect surfaces, but for experimental modeling and freeform design, I´d never use Alias :)

I would suggest that you take a look at Keyshot´s animation module, or Bunkspeeds Move instead. Very simple, but with good results.

Am I tempted to do an MA at UID. Well I´m sure it would be a great experiance and that I would learn A LOT. But I´ve been to school enough and an MA-degree doesn´t neccessary give me more jobs..... Most of the people I respect and admire are self taught, and so am I to a large extent. All my image-making skills are a result of many hours by the computer. UID taught me a little Rhino, but nothing else (within this field).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts