Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its me again, Ok got engine installed, Transmission refilled, and it actually starts, Amazing..... But here is the problem it wants to run 1800 RPm's all the time(except in gear) I have no earthly idea how to time this engine my brother says that he can do it by ear with a little bit of driving and misc mumbo jumbo. My question is does the high idle have anything to do with the modul in the distributor? A buddy of mine said that they are notorious for going bad and to keep a spare in the glove compartment because they control your low idle and high idle. Basically im trying to get some stuff figured out before my brother comes over and starts spinning screws and adjusting the carb, only to have more problems.

Specs are as follows 79 chevy k10 4X4 with automatic, energizer cam from cranecams (no idea what lift, duration etc means so please dont ask lol) was told it was a mild rv. Im thinking its a HEI ignition i read that somewhere i think. It starts and shuts down with little to no problems, backfire etc. Best of all it sounds healthy no loose sockets or bolts inside still. lol

Ive had good luck with this forum so far and I'm looking forward to good responces. Thanks again

Steve :thumbup:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Have you adjusted the idle down? Is the choke with the higher idle step on? Is the throttle stuck partially open? I might be wrong but 1,800 rpm at idle doesn't sound like timing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you adjusted the idle down? Didnt want to start spinning stuff until i figured out if the module controlled idle, i bought this truck of a older man who drove it untill it spun a bearing which was where i took over. So i kinda figured that it was probably adjusted fairly close.

Is the choke with the higher idle step on? No idea what that is. /Me thumbs through Chiltons! I dont even try and adjust my weedeater anymore. I am what u would call carberatorilliterate.

Is the throttle stuck partially open? Nope i did check that.

Apreciate your help
Steve

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
You can't adjust the timing until you can get it to idle down. That is because of the fact that you are already well into your distributor curve at 1,800.

Check your fast idle on the choke. Turn your idle screws down.

There is no way a distributor problem will make your engine idle at 1,800 RPMs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks!

Ok i found some documentation on the carb and adjustments, What would be a good speed to idle my truck down too before i attempt to set the timing? 750-800 ?

Steve

·
It just takes time and money
225 Posts
I can only tell you my experience.If you are running a stock or mildly built SBC, in general: for timing get the RPM's to 750-800, after it is timed, 750-850 should be fine for a either a manual or automatic. If you have a manual you may be able to get down to the 700 mark(neutral). The automatic in gear should be about 700-750.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
Vacuum Leak?

After you check your idle screw setting and look for a stuck choke, also be sure you do not have a vacuum leak that base of the carb and/or some hoses. Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts