Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i want to biuld a strong bottom end on a 400sbc. so far these are what i hear are the best manafactures for these parts, please let me know what you think-

pistons- trw
cam- comp cam
crank- eagle
rods- eagle
bearings- clevitte 77
oil pump- milodan
gaskets- fel pro

does anybody know who makes the best timing chains & sprockets? if i run a gear drive, is there such a thing as a "quiet" gear drive (i hate that fing whine)

does anybody know of a web site that has some engine combos?

THANKYOU everyone for all the info!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I far as as I know theres a loud and a semi loud on the gear drives your parts sound right just a gear head opinion. ps.any true roller chain shoud be sufficient.

[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: wrenchturner ]</p>

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are going to build a 400 make sure you have a real good cooling system. I had a 69' chevelle with 406 small block running right at 400 hp. It wouldn't take much sitting at a red light to get it to boil over! Just keep it in mind.

Tim

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
ive heard gears actually cost you horsepower over a roller chain. if you don't want the sound there's no reason to get gears although everyone tells me the single idler gear kind are far better than the dual. late sfb

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was always told that the gears are more accurate as far as timing but I never had trouble with double chains either. I have gears in my 350 Chevy and for the lack of real muscle, they sound cool. I don't care for the real noisy ones, they sound like a bad power steering pump to me. Mine give off just a little whine at idle, but when you get on it, they sound like a blower whine. At a certain RPM they really scream but never at cruising speed. I have heard of people having problems getting the gears to fit under the covers in some cases. I would ask questions of specific brands for your motor first unless you don't mind some slight modifications to make them fit. HotRod

1 - 7 of 7 Posts