Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
strong low end torque(I'm going to be adding armoring, which is expected to add additional 1,000lbs), silky smoothness, reliablility, durability, and relatively high mpg, compact size (leaning toward sbc V8)

Note: the biggest hp at high rpm is not a preferrance, though not necessarily a negative by itself.

Turn off (for me, that is): Look at me exhaust sound, I prefer "strong and silent" type, with Lexus V8 being the bench mark.

The look that I'm looking for is a sleek-looking executive type sedan, not a 60'
s muscle car

Doesn't have to be a domestic (whether stock or custom) engine, though, given everything else equal, I would prefer domestics (not just for patriotic reasons, but also easier maintenance support)

Potential candidates:

NorthStar V8

SBC V8

Mercedez V8

·
Registered
46 Posts
No diesels?

like a cummins 6.2L V8 diesel.

Huge amounts of torque and pretty good economy I thought... bit more expensive then a sbc tho

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
A lot would depend on your engine compartment package. If you have the room I would go with a big Ford 300 six, or a big block V8 (Chevy or Ford) with an appropriate high torque, low revving type cam and tune.

For quiet and reliable, its hard to beat the Northstar V8, and it would probably handle the weight ok with an automatic tranny...

As a general rule high torque at low-medium revs means lots of displacement, and as a general rule long stroke is better than short, which usually means taller decks and bigger blocks..... but this is an all-other-things-equal type of generalization and applications differ.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Red Grant said:
Well, diesels, aren't they a little too big for a sedan?

Could quite be, maybe a bit too loud too, but advantages are great mpg(well costs) and very high torque.

still depends on the car you want to do the swap with, and it's purpose.

someone here swapped it in an offroader and he says it's a little bit bigger then a 350, but you can use some stuff on it like 350 trannies etc. (you need some diesel specific parts though.

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/3480/diesel.htm

but still a sbc350 might be the easiest.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Red Grant said:
strong low end torque(I'm going to be adding armoring, which is expected to add additional 1,000lbs), silky smoothness, reliablility, durability, and relatively high mpg, compact size (leaning toward sbc V8)

V8
Blowers might be a substitute for cubes.... but.....

you are hinting at 5000+ pounds empty weight.

Lincoln Town Car or Town Car "L" with 418 inch 351Windsor or Ford 460+ inch big block each with aftermarket heads and aftermarket sequential fuel injection. Built for power below 5000 rpm. A built-up E4OD wide ratio trans with 3.55-3.73 posi rear gears to get it moving in an emergency.

An "L" is a Ford assembly line car with 6" more wheelbase and the rear doors are 6" longer. Not a limo conversion.

Hands down winner in my book. :thumbup:

If gas mileage makes a difference, you can't afford the car. :nono:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
the 4.6L Northstar wouldnt be a good choice for a heavy vehicle, its a bit short on torque at low revs, it does have lots of medium to high rpm torque and power.

I would suggest either a 350 or 400 smallblock Chev as there are lots of parts and lots of support for them, they make excelent low rpm torque and are dependable and reliable.

peace
Hog

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,772 Posts
I'm with xentric and pmeisel -- almost stock big block would be much better than any small block, or a diesel. Diesel is probably going to be to noisy though.

What car/body are you considering? If something like a Lincoln Town Car an EFI 460 from an 80's F-250 would be a great choice. A friend of mine used one for towing. It got about 15 mpg whether you had a loaded trailer or it was empty, the weight just didn't bother it at all.

The Mercedes V-8 works, but does so through a four or five speed auto trans and a lot of gear. It's not a real big or torquey engine at low speed -- more like the Northstar -- better at mid range. Anything will work with the right trans and final drive ratio, even an SBC. A Town Car or Crown Vic that currently sports a 4.6L would benefit from the 5.4L version, or even an older tech 351 Windsor or Cleveland (5.4L=330 inches, 4.6L=280 inches) built for low speed torque. Use EFI for smooth running. A 460 will fit in a TC or CV though...

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
How about one of the LS-based engines. Super quiet, good MPG, 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0L configurations, light weight (especially if you do a 5.7 since they're all aluminum), proven reliability, excellent parts availability. Aftermarket companies sell complete LS1 conversions with computer and harness with instructions on what to attach where.

The truck blocks are iron, but still lighter than a traditional SBC. If you have the space, the 8.1L truck engine is a torque monster and still pretty quiet.

You mentioned the Lexus/Toyota V8 which is a little high-strung but an excellent choice for reliability and noise.

Northstar is a possibility, but they aftermarket is slowly going away for them, and they don't make much power by today's standards. Nothing impressive about them to me.

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I agree that a big block would probably be the best way to go to achieve what you are looking for. An oval port 496 with a relatively small cam would probably be good for 450 hp and 500-550 ft lbs pretty easily and the motor would be very mild. I also agree with the LS motors being a good idea.

Adam

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
You could make a reasonably quiet powerful sbc or BBC, but the mileage is going to suck in a 5000 pound vehicle. If this is your greatest concern, have you looked at some of the newer V8's that reduce the number of slugs used during cruising (the new Hemi for example).

BMW has a nice V8 out there to with variable timing, variable intake runner length and highly efficient combustion chambers.

How much power do you really need? This thing is probably going to handle like a tank, does it need to go fast or can the power just be adequate?

My dad bought an armored car for his police department years ago. I recall it had a 318 in it and it wasn't quick, but it got along fine. Like a truck with a medium trailer.

K

·
Registered
155 Posts
Buick 455. Built & injected. Huge torque, but nearly impossible to make smooth below 1500 rpm, especially with the cam needed for 700 lb/ft +.

Drove my dentist buddy's Porsche Cayenne Turbo last week in KC, MO. Find a wrecked one of those? Everything you'd expect and more ($$$$).

Realistically? I'd go with a blown 408 Clevor. Seriously. Smooth & strong. Ready aftermarket for the 2 camps (Windsor & Cleveland). Good power & mileage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
leldai73,

Why add armoring? Hmmm, why do you think so many people out there buy V8 Pick-ups and SUVs?

Because they work on construction or they go hunting, or camping in the wilderness?

Let's just say I have enough discretionary cash, and driving a nice car is an invitation for carjacking.

DjTy,

Well, what about reliability in Winter?

xntrik,

418inch 351 windsor or Ford 460+ inch big block?

Will be checking into those.

Relatively high MPG would be a bonus, but not requirement.

farna,

Again, thanks for your wisdom.

It would probably be a sedan originally built for V8, the size of Lincoln from 80's.

curtis73,

Actually, I've been looking at LS engines for awhile, would seem to be an interesting choice, more research to be done, I guess.

I agree with you about Northstar, I've talked a number of people since I posted this, and came to the same conclusion.

killerformula,

How much power?

Enough to make adequate passing speed on freeway, and to keep up with traffic at the lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts