Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 4 bbl.
110 Posts
The sCO2 can be heated in a variety of ways and cooled using stream water. It does not even need to be clean water.
Not being a smart aleck at all, but using stream water to cool industrial processes warms up the water. If the water is heated too much the amount of oxygen in the water is significantly reduced which can be harmful for some fish (like trout). As a trout fisherman I would be very angry if such a process hurt the trout population at my favorite fishing hole.

Sadly there will always be some problem that someone (or some group) will have with just about any energy source.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I know a guy who still fixes n flips regular cars even tho he makes a lot more these days at his job. It's just something to keep him busy that he likes doing BUT in my opinion, technically he is losing money as his time is worth more. Still if he enjoys it, then can you really put a price on it? Just as the 2nd post/reply said.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Yes thats me.
Up until last year I was limited in space so I was letting cars that drove go for cheap just to make room for the "better" ride. I really never made a ton of cash into it. If I made a wage I would be loosing cash on most of them.
Bought a new place that needs some work. But, has plenty of room for projects.

Not having room for a project really detours progress. I have built rides outside where you loose a hour every day in setup/cleanup. Even a single stall or something that gets you out of the wind makes a big diffrence.

Having room for a parts car will let you keep those small parts that you may overlook when scraping the parts car.

I will be flipping cars and parting cars till I drop. As long as there are car shows there will be project cars. As long as there are project cars there will be someone wanting to make them faster.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There will always be people wanting to customize there rides, There will always be someone wanting to go faster quicker than the next guy.
The True art and Hobby is being different!
Their will always be those that CAN and those that Just Write checks or use Plastic.

I have nothing against Electric cars EXCEPT The Battery's!
Depending on Duracell keeps you tied up to the Pole, The whole point of the Internal combustion engine was FREEDOM To go where ever you wish when ever you wish! Something Electric cars will never have!

Today's Hybrid cars are over engineered piles of Crap that no one will ever keep and treasure They are designed to break and be cost prohibitive to fix forcing you to buy a new one.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I like things simple. So you can imagine I would love to run a hybrid that ran a majority electric(85/15)with a strong (easy to service) cvt. The small gas motor would just be used for charging(while stopped) and the (improved) cvt would allow for quick simple gear ratio changes. This all adds up to reduced parts, and if done right more reliablity then the current ICE and gearbox transmission can hope to ever reach.

But the current junk is stupid expensive and over engineered like you said. They are also designed to only last 10 to 15 years(in Michigan) making buying one used a short term thing that is still a coin toss if it would pay for itself before the frame/pack goes.

You can take a older car and do a conversion. But, when you add everything up including the pack your hard pressed to stay under $5000. It is easy to double that if not tripple that $5000 for performance.

When a Gas longblock with another 5 years of life left can be found for $500 to $1500 dropping 10 times as much for a conversion just does not make sense at this point.

When electric becomes more common and brings the conversion prices down you will have electric hot rods. The torque and acelleration electric provides just makes sense.

Electricity is in more places then gas pumps.

In those remote remote places like a cabin in the woods a gas generatior can be run(good chance already is) to power the cabin as well as charge your car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Electric cars are simply for control. They have limited range and no one wants to wait for them to charge, so don't expect to take any quick long trips with one. I expect many won't interstate travel as much. You can remotely shut them off or also limited them. I think the biggest selling feature is the self drive so people can be on their phones.

I think they would be fine for limited use hotrods and expect to see more but it's not my style, I like to feel and hear the engine.

I don't think there is anything green about them other than the money to be made by selling them or off the government.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Electric drive/gas charge is more efficient then the current (joke) setup which uses the gas engine to assist with the electric engine.
By just using the gas engine as a generator when parked you can have the engine live in a perfect little rpm range making it extremely reliable yet compact. The military(and others) has invested a bit into a new tiny rotary(Wankle 2.0 in the link below) which does just this. It is compact yet powerful enough to run a generator to charge the battery pack. Coupled with regen(motor) and better battery packs as well as better motors a 500 mile range will become a expected range.

Now I was a OTR driver for 7 years. Running 600 miles in a day is easy enough. But most people are not going to sit in a car for 8 hours straight. They are going to stop at some point and when they do thats when that little gas motor kicks on after say a few minutes. Now obviously there are better/faster/cheaper charging means. But having a gas charging option allows you the freedom to just drive(even get lost) without any pre planning.

Now lets say the average commute is 30 miles and lets say the average work day is 8.5 hours and your employer does not offer any on site charging options. Over that 8 hours lets say the little rotary uses 3 gallons of fuel to bring the battery from 60% to 80%. Oh and it is the winter time so the car is also heated(melting the snow etc while you work) for that last hour so your down to lets say 70%. Although expensive this really is the worst case deal.

Charging stations will become more and more of a convince at businesses, workplaces, etc.

So back to the idea of a road trip. Lets say you want to run 800 miles round trip in a weekend. I have done it enough( Not while driving OTR) where I throw some kind of stop in the middle of 5 to 8 hours. I work 3 days a week. Pre covid I would have no issue driving one or two states over just to do it or to pick up something in person. I either stop at a rest area or a hotel near the destination and throw in a break mid way on the way down/on the way home.

I imagine charging stations will find there way to (more) rest areas and hotels allowing you to drive where ever you want without being concerned about planning out your trip. If I want to go to Chicago(200mi) I am going to head west. If I want to go to Indianapolis(270 mi) I am going to head south(west). If I want to grab something in Buffalo(450mi all USA) I am heading East(96,23,80/90). Hang out with friends in Green Bay(420mi) not a issue at all.
With a 500mile range I can hit all these without a issue and charge at the hotel. That being said stopping for 30 minutes at a quick charge spot while eating some food would not be that much of a inconvenience and as more of these stations emerge could allow for lighter packs.

You really do not need 500 miles in a hot rod. Less range means less batteries, less batteries equates to less weight. We all like things lighter and when talking about a hot rod having 250 miles of range will (eventually) be more then enough. Your going to have better motors, better battery packs, and more charging stations allowing the range to drop and things to become sportier.

Now you would never tow a 21' boat with a civic. There are cases where having the right tool for the job makes sense. So you pull that 10mpg one ton out of the barn and hook up the 3 axle when you want to grab a Florida car. You can make a 7000lb truck into a hot rod. But it sure is a lot easier to do it with something with half the weight. So you use the right tool for the job. Your hot rod with 250 miles of range will be able do do most things and go most places just fine if used as it was built to be used.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
There is ebb and flow in hot rodding through the years, but I believe it's my calling to drive mine as much as possible, and let folks, esp. younger ones, see it on the road. Awareness of what's possible is a precursor to interest in owning/building one. Keep 'em driving. Street is neat !
Agreed! I'm not 80 years old, but hang with the 'younger' crowd in the car scene. Most of the younger guys are owners of sub 25 year old cars. They are into turbos, electronics, etc. But I can safely say that most of them all want to look at the 40 year old car with electronics and turbo - that's been my experience. I feel that if I can inspire one kid to become interested in cars/hotrodding, then I'm continuing to drive it all I can. It's good to see you do the same.

I think the handwriting is on the wall. If they don't legislate us out, they will force us out with the price of gasoline.
Not being a smart aleck at all, but using stream water to cool industrial processes warms up the water. If the water is heated too much the amount of oxygen in the water is significantly reduced which can be harmful for some fish (like trout). As a trout fisherman I would be very angry if such a process hurt the trout population at my favorite fishing hole.

Sadly there will always be some problem that someone (or some group) will have with just about any energy source.
It seems that we have become a society of no compromise or compassion for anyone that doesn't think the same as ourselves. It's unfortunate and I believe this is why we see these wild swings in our politics. We seem to be at a point where there is no middle ground ever legislated despite that most people don't agree with legislation of this nature. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Common sense legislation has become an impossibility - think of gun control, border security, tax reform, environmental issues. Do any of us support our southern border being over run, convicted felons or the menatlly ill buying hand guns or automatic weapons, reducing taxes to the richest 1% to vitually zero, or pouring nuclear waste into a freshwater system? I'll venture a guess that all of us will have the same answer, but holy sheetz does the legislation that addresses these issues get convaluted.

Hotrodding will die when there becomes no interest in it. We are a free country still and that's not going to change IMHO. Our politics is in the middle of a bad swing of the pendulum presently and it will settle down within the next cycle, again IMHO. Honesty/integrity and humanity will overcome the current climate if we make ourselves heard and treat each other with respect.

Jim

·
Registered
210 Posts
"I have been flirting with building a sCO2 engine for years. My current fun build is not to this point yet. But it is the platform I plan on running a sCO2 engine in.
I plan on having the wheels moving within a year."

Keep us posted on that, cerial. In the meantime, my ol' IC 350 gives me lots of smiles and pleasing exhaust sounds. Don't think I'll be around for the electric hot rods since I'm in my mid-70s.

·
Registered
13,918 Posts
I’m left in quandary in that city life has been mighty comfortable during this pandemic. But that is also from the view point of being retired and making my income from Social Security, pensions and life long investing. So this is the view of an octogenarian that doesn’t have to leave home to make a living, I’m out of the daily hunt. But we are looking to move out in the boonies where these digital derived amenities may not exist which at our age might just be too stupid a move, we’ll cogitate some more on that. We are a mix of a country boy and city girl and it is a constant tripping point in our relationship. The one thing that helps me with city survival is we live across the street from a 250 acre wooded preserve that basically is a forested park with few amenities only a hand full of benches and picnic tables and only one set of restrooms, and not much parking. So it doesn’t attract large crowds, mostly bird watchers and dog walkers. Our pittie and I tour it twice a day be it sun, rain, or snow.

Now living in Seattle which is a very digitally connected city almost every daily need from our food to kitty litter is delivered to our front stoop, so basic survival needs of food, water, electricity, sewer, heat or cooling are met with just logging on the web and placing an order with Amazon, Costco, and Chewy.

I‘ve been spending my time incorporating the tools and supplies from the shop into our basement and garage which is a huge job. It saddens me to pass around my Harleys, I didn’t ride last summer and at my age I recognize that riding motorcycles and building hot rods isn’t going to last for much longer so I’m pretty PO’ed over loosing a year. But we got shot number 2 of Moderna last week so things are looking better for going to the parts store when impromptu things pop up needing in the middle of a project which has been a real pain for me as my wife is on me like fly paper about going out. Her ‘suit-up’ process of street clothes, masks, gloves, and sanitizer takes a lot of time. But being in my 80’s and 5 or 6 heart attacks and 4 cardiac surgeries even I have to relent to the fact that catching Co-19 is probably not survivable or if I do it would be like my father after prostate cancer surgery where he turned into a little, frail old man before my eyes. So yeah, he survived but the last ten years of his life were way different than the previous 80. So I go along with my wife first because I have seen the other side a few times and of coarse the old saw of a “happy wife makes a happy life”and the house is too small and life too short to spend time in pee’ing contests with the ‘old lady’, that you’re gonna lose anyway.

So with supervision I got to go to Ace Hardware the other day to get the supplies of screw hooks and some cheap quarter inch chain and some 2x4’s and moth repellent to roll up two big oriental rugs that blocked getting to two storage cabinets for hardware and small parts storage in the basement. This stuff let me roll them on 2x4 armatures and hang them from the ceiling joists so they are out of the way. That was kind of the key to getting tons of shop crap out of boxes blocking the garage and restoring space to crank up projects. Between that and being in springtime having long days and daylight savings time things are looking up.

I do rather suspect that constant population growth is unsustainable. Looking back it looks like the optimum population for the US should be 200 million or less. It eases a lot of burdens from a taxation and environmental standpoint. So many things form a saddle curve where there is an optimum system load to where some or several critical elements of cost, weight, hazards, raw material consumption, environmental issues increase below and above the ideal point. So I rather think that hot rod ding as we know it is going to both change and shrink. Keep in mind the horse changed from the major mode of transportation to a toy for playboys and little girls.

Bogie

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I’m pretty PO’ed over loosing a year.

Bogie
I can imagine. 3 years ago I had joint replacment that has basically given me a knew lease on life - I feel PO'd if I sleep in or fall asleep before midnight and miss a couple of hours of time to work on my crap, be with my family, or do whatever I want to do.

Very nice post though Bogie. Glad your health is good, and glad to hear that you and yours have made it through this.

Regarding the future of hotrodding, there has been a ton of crap printed most everywhere about 'carbon free', RPM act and EPA regulation enforcement effects on the hobby since this thread started. I beleve that the topic has been taken to extremes by both sides via scare tactics in both directions. 'The planet will implode if the use of fossil fuels continues' vs. 'Joe Biden is going to shut down every form of auto racing.' Anyone that believes that or believes that any politician is legislating based on either of those thoughts is someone that has allowed the scare tactics to work.

Hotrodding and auto racing are as American as Chevrolet and apple pie - none of which are going anywhere anytime soon - despite what is heard on social media.

I think if we came up with a way to keep the dingalings with diesel trucks that program the injectors to dump tons of excess fuel for the sole purpose of making a cloud of black smoke, then I'm down with that. Perhaps they could take up a new hobby such as pyromania or something such as checking electrical outlets with their tongues? ;)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts