Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Fall Carlisle the other day and I came across this book called "The Key to Metal Bumping" The guy who was selling the book explained to me that this book was used as the textbook at vocational schools. This was all before they had bondo, and he explained how many of these techniques they don't even teach nowadays. He then demonstrated some of the techniques in the book on a metal chair, which was impressive. The guy seemed to stress many of the skills are still useful and saves time.

I thought about buying the book, but then I looked at it a little bit. The info seemed useful, but honestly I would find it extremely difficult to really learn these techniques from a book. It's hard to really understand these techniques if you don't have someone to show you. I decided not to buy the book.

I was wondering if other people have this book? What did you learn or get out of it? Do you think it's good to get?

The Key to Metal Bumping

·
Frmly sc*ot.
535 Posts
It's the best book I've seen on the subject. I have it. In mine, the photos are of 1950's cars. :mad: I don't know if it has been updated, but the information can't be beat. If you plan to do any bodywork, I think you should get it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It hasn't been updated! All the pictures are of 50's cars.

I'm actually going to school learning how to do bodywork. My teacher though doesn't seem to be good at working with metal. Maybe I'll try to pick it up at the next one, or order it.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I can't speak to the quality of the book but on the subject of metal bumping, I couldn't pass up this opportunity. My buddy Rick took this shot a Bonneville this year (thus the sprinkling of salt flakes on car). Wouldn't you love to learn some bumpin' skills like that?

·
Registered
48 Posts
cboy said:
I can't speak to the quality of the book but on the subject of metal bumping, I couldn't pass up this opportunity. My buddy Rick took this shot a Bonneville this year (thus the sprinkling of salt flakes on car). Wouldn't you love to learn some bumpin' skills like that?

I would sell my left testicle to learn how to do that...I suspect beed roler or a preecut steel plate tack welded to the fender and bondo out...
just a guess....
If not, its gotta be magic. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
cboy said:

I am not sure if I am inspired or discouraged by this craftsmanship. The level of some guys expertise is astounding. Now I wouldn't sell any body parts to learn this but I sure would love to learn :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
cboy said:

damn, that's slick. I remember seeing pictures of some guys in Vietnam or someplace like that who were forming new floorboards by hand - duplicating factory beads and bends so that you couldn't tell that it was hand-fabbed. They did it by making a wood form of the floor (or at least female forms of the beads/depressions), and then hammering/forming/finessing the metal in a kind-of reverse-hammerform way. I would think that this would be one way to duplicate the embossed flames.

That would be the way that I might tackle it. Course that doesn't mean I actually have the skills to do so . . .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are some other places that sell it for $15. Probably at the next Carlisle though you could find someone selling if for less.

It's good to hear people here like the book! Did you have someone show you and than just use the book as reference? Were you able to learn from the book on your own?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.