·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
It has a lot of parts that are heavy?:mwink:

Brian

·
www.generationhighoutput. com
897 Posts
It's built on the Zeta Platform and is a super tall modern car with a ridiculously high belt line. Factor in the IRS, air bags, massive amounts of electronics and it starts to add up. It was destined to be a big fat piggy.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
A light chassis like a Honda accord is over 3600lbs. 4000 for a new camaro seems reasonable.
True. With the safety standards today, the extra bracing in doors and quarters, that's not a bad weight. My 57 Chevy 2 dr. sedan weighed in at 3200 lbs, stock.

·
Just stuck
435 Posts
Air bags are not exactly a light item and then you have to build the vehicle to accept them. Just the steering wheel alone is heavier than the one in my 66 Belvedere. A passenger side AB from a 2003 Dakota is probably 15 lbs and the dash with the added bracing for it adds up. Add in the crash sensors and the wiring for it all and it starts to make some significant weight. Cars started getting piggy with safety items around 1970. I was amazed when I pulled a door from a 70 Challenger with it's side impact brace in it....wasn't ready for the weight of it when I took out the last hinge bolt and I dropped the dang thing! My 71 340 Cuda with AC, PS, PB and not much else was 3560!

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,341 Posts
Just imagine the wiring harnesses alone...

My 66 bonneville complete wiring harness (from tip to toe) fits in a shoebox and probably doesn't weigh more than 5 lbs. Try that with the wiring out of a new Camaro.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.