Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the movies Saturday night and the show was forgettable but the coming attractions were anything but. Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera is coming out Dec. 22!!! From the preview it will be AWESOME. Can't wait. I am more excited about this that when Jurassic Park came out.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Broadway for sure but that isn't the point. Now we can see it whenever we want so I will accept a little Hollywood rot for that .

·
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!
299 Posts
I've seen the Broadway production, and I went to see the film. It would have been better if I had been blind for this film. The obvious lip sinking was getting on my nerves by the end of the first hour. Also, Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum suck as the Phantom and Christine. The director needed better casting, IMO.

However, the score is rather well done, especially (warning: small spoiler!) the opening scene when they raise the chandelier, and it comes to life while the hardest part of the music is playing. I got a grin on my face at that part. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie really makes that opening scene really shine.

Worst of all is that the phantom never plays his organ in the movie! I kept seeing it in the background in the phantom's lair and screaming in my head play the @#*&% organ you piece of #(%&@! :spank:

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
4 Jaw Chick said:
Didn't they already make a "Phantom of the Opera" film several years ago? I was sure there already was one.

Chickie.
Chick; this story has been done many times based on a turn of the century novel. Lon Chaney did a silent film version, Claude Raines(?) did a B horror version in the 50s. Until Andrew Lloyd Webber did his version it had been a horror film in the vein of Dracula, Frankenstein, The Blob, etc.

ALW wrote a magnificent score and reinterpreted it as a denied-love tragedy and it has been one of the most successful stage plays in the history of theater. Surely you know the music; Phantom of the Opera, Music of the Night, Think of Me, All I ask of You, Primadonna, Masquerade, Angel of Music, Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again, Point of No Return,etc. He had threatened to make the movie version for a couple of decades but frustrated us Phans by doing nothing. Warner Bros. had the rights and evidently were screwing the thing up royally so ALW bought back the rights and produced it himself.

The movie is magical. People who saw the stage play with Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford in the lead roles are grumbling that the new, relatively unknown cast don't do it as well as they did. I submit they do as good a job in the movie a the former stars did in the play. A stage musical depends almost solely on the singing voices of the actors to carry the load 'cause you can't see them act! Sarah and Michael were super in that medium. However in a movie, the actors need to act first and carry the music in the context of the emotion. I think if you see Michale Crawford's acting abilities in such block busters as Disney's "Condor Man", then you would appreciate Gerard Butler's masterful rendition of Phantom in this movie. The cast that ALW wound up with was powerful, all should be up for academy award in their category. Could they have pulled off a stage production; absolutely not. Could the stage cast done the job these guys did on the silver screen; not a chance.

When you get the chance, by all means see the stage production. Likewise, go see the movie. It is a powerful experience and you will be moved, I promise.

However if you go with a preconceived notion that this should have the look and feel of the stage play, stay home. It's a movie!!

If your idea of a great movie involves a constant stream of 4-letter words and explicit illicit sex, again stay home.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Willys,

I thought Vincent Price did an excellent job too.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
trees said:
Willys, you never cease to amaze me!

Trees
Sorry, I'm just a sucker for romantic musicals - Sound of Music, Camelot, South Pacific, Oklahoma, Carousel, Phantom, Evita, Joseph's Technicolor Dream-coat, Starlight Express, etc., etc., I just love 'em!

MI2600 said:
Willys,

I thought Vincent Price did an excellent job too.
Yep, there are several versions of the B-horror picture genre of Phantom.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
Weimer said:
You forgot one Willy's. What about the Rocky Horror Picture Show?!
Later,
WEIMER
I've seen that one :D More than once...
Let's do the time warp again..Toast!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts